How to hang lights?

mFrame

With my new light on the 90g I would really like to suspend it with wires from the ceiling so that I can easily raise it when I want to work in the tank.

Does anyone local sell wire suspension kits? My light fixture is not pre-drilled for one so do I need to do any kind of special bracing to make sure the wire will hold?

I really like the look of something like this:

hanging kit

Aquamedic makes a really nice low key hanging kit. My problem with most of the factory made hanging kits is that they always make the ceiling mounts huge and ugly. The Aquamedic is just a simple silver cylinder that is maybe half an inch in diameter. Great looking kit and it should be relatively easy to retrofit any fixture to make it work. What kind of light are you trying to hang?

Medi, to compensate for that I drilled little tiny holes through my sheetrock and then went into my attic to drop the wire down. I nailed a 2x4 between my rafters and then made hook eyes onto my wire and screwed them to the 2x4. All you see is 1/8" wire disappear into my ceiling. I've seen many kits that the ceiling part is only large enough to hide a sheetrock screw. Looked very classy.

Aquamedic makes a really nice low key hanging kit. My problem with most of the factory made hanging kits is that they always make the ceiling mounts huge and ugly. The Aquamedic is just a simple silver cylinder that is maybe half an inch in diameter. Great looking kit and it should be relatively easy to retrofit any fixture to make it work. What kind of light are you trying to hang?

An Odyssey 48" fixture. I think this will work if I can find it

hanging kit

Jake at RCA is seeing if he can locate one, he said they have been impossible to find but the rep says that they are still being made. The Odyssey is evidently a rip of the coralife.

An Odyssey 48" fixture. I think this will work if I can find it

hanging kit

Jake at RCA is seeing if he can locate one, he said they have been impossible to find but the rep says that they are still being made. The Odyssey is evidently a rip of the coralife.

I bought that EXACT same kit from Aquatek about a year ago. Straight out of their stock. You might want to check it out.

Medi, to compensate for that I drilled little tiny holes through my sheetrock and then went into my attic to drop the wire down. I nailed a 2x4 between my rafters and then made hook eyes onto my wire and screwed them to the 2x4. All you see is 1/8" wire disappear into my ceiling. I've seen many kits that the ceiling part is only large enough to hide a sheetrock screw. Looked very classy.

This is how I had my previous tank, the wires were barely noticable. They sell little clamps at HD to secure the wire. Bright ideas hydro in south austin has some heavy duty hangers. They carry sunlight supply products so they should have all of these.

www.sunlightsupply.com on the horticulture side, in hangers/ light movers section