New guy

adamo

Hi, my name is Adam. I'm new to the hobby. I got inspired to start by my friend Will, who is also a member here. I'm just starting my tank and can't wait to get it going. Look forward to getting advice and perspective from all of you!

Adam

Welcome, and yea the stuff i have been pointing out for his 14 gal biocube will eventually be necessary* if not extremely helpful.

- ATO

- upgrading the stock 140gph pump to a 250-300 gph pump as he does not want a powerhead in the display

- KaceyJ has is going to be giving him on of those biocube skimmers for the first filtration area (unless yall think they dont work, i dont have any experience with them)

- Removing the bioball and replacing it with a media rack that include filter floss, carbon, purigen, and live rock rubble.

- he is going to be picking up his live rock as well this week.

Got the tank looking pretty good. We discovered last night that my pump had been upgraded already, some good news. Put some semi-live rock in there for the scape. The water cleared up pretty well overnight, interesting to see what the tank looks like when I get home this evening. Also ordered a power-head, media basket for the back and a little light to grow the algae

Welcome. Read, read, then read some more. It's awesome that you have someone to mentor you but you need to do the research and own the knowledge. So you can have the tank you want. I think the coolest part of this hobby is the people. You'll be hard pressed to find a better bunch of people.

Dave I love that pic.

What do you think I do all day at work? wink.gif I've been reading a lot on nano-reef. Learned a lot about the filtration process and types of fish I can have in my size tank. Also learned about modifications on the bio-cube to get better flow. I want to put in two Ocellaris Clownfish, hopefully that will host. Also want to get a some sort of cleaner shrimp. Gonna start slow and research everything myself before i jump on it.

• 2 weeks later...
post-1528-036948000 1281135450_thumb.jpgpost-1528-096095800 1281135424_thumb.jpgIts been a while since I last posted. The tank is doing well, except for the problem I'll address in a minute. I'm done with the recommended flow mods from nano-reef. I cut the top between chamber one and two, removed chamber one's false bottom (removed all of the sand and debris), added a media basket (with chaeto and light, chemipure, and some filter floss), and added a Koralia power head. Somehow I misplaced my thermometer for a few days and had to buy a new one this afternoon, only to discover that my water was 82*. I'm guessing that the increase was caused from the light that I'm using to grow the chaeto in chamber two. I had it running all day and night. I'm going to try running it on a timer during the day time to see if that helps keep the water temp stabilized. I had the water tested sunday and it was still cycling. Tested again today and everything checked out good. Going to see what I can do with these water temps before I start putting more life in it. I want to start with one ocellaris clown until I can prove to myself that I can keep more. Eventually want to have another black ocellaris clown and a fire shrimp. Do you guys think the clowns will get along? I still have some mature live-rock in the tank, wonder how long I should keep it in there before removing it. I fiddled with my scape for a while and debated about it before coming up with the final (well, for now) product. Ill post up some pics if I can figure it out.

I guess i'll just keep posting updates to this thread. Almost bought a black clown in dallas. They had them for 50, but I was worried about transporting it. Can they tolerate a long car ride? Seems like the temperature would be a problem Also, I resolved the heat problem with timers.

I guess i'll just keep posting updates to this thread. Almost bought a black clown in dallas. They had them for 50, but I was worried about transporting it. Can they tolerate a long car ride? Seems like the temperature would be a problem Also, I resolved the heat problem with timers.

hmmm

a 3 hour car ride w/ AC or an over night plane ride? :cool: i think they would be fine.

**good advice? bad advice anyone?? **

• 3 weeks later...