PHP Probes - Storage and Calibration Questions

boognish

I have a Jenco controller that has been in storage for several years. Neither the controller nor the probe has ever been used. However, the jar/cap on the probe was dry when I opened it tonight and I can only assume it has been dry for several years. I have read conflicting views on whether the probe is any good after being stored dry and would like to see if anyone here can provide any input. Here are the specifics:

Jenco PH & ORP Controller 3601 - http://www.jencoi.com/n/index.php/products/item/3601

Jenco PH Probe 600p - http://www.jencostore.com/jenco-600p-general-purpose-ph-electrode-bnc-connector-10-ft-cable-max-temp-60-c.html

Are there local resources for Probes or do you all just order online? What calibration solutions do you use for calibrating your probes and is it available at any of our LFS?

Not sure about the probes. I too have an opr and ph proble I have not used since I purchased my control a year ago. So I'm ridig along.

You can get calibration fluid at any LFS,Aquatek & RCA, you will need 7 and 10. Float the packets to bing them up or down to temp before calibrating your probe.

From what i understand is that the probs are not to be stored dry and will go bad. My understanding on this is that any significant time out of solution or water will render the prob useless. i read this on the aquacontroler website.

I too am going to agree with it not being any good.

From some of the scientific sites I've looked at in regards to them (BTW they all use a universal socket and can be bought at pool supply/spa houses, scientific catalogs, as well as our usual suspects) say that if they are stored dry or become dry, are then rendered unusable.

On another even stranger note, many will also tell you that the probes will have a "use by date". I've read that you should only buy your probes from a business that has a high turnover rate. This noted that many of your reef supply shops are not a high turnover business. Now your Marine Depot, Fosters, or Big Al's will still be good choices, but some of these smaller specialty shops might not be good choices. From what I've read, and this has never truly been proven to me, most probes will go bad if not used within a year of manufacture. I've been worried about this as well since I bought a controller and PH probe for my 400g tank about 3 years ago. Due to my foundation shifting and not being able to fill the tank, I've not used the probe. I've not been able to find any manufacture date, nor a use by date on my probe but I do wonder if it's any good at this point. It is still wet in the packaging slime.

No no, sorry if you took it that way. Your cord is connected directly to the probe, this we cannot fix. I was trying to say that you can pick up your new probes almost anywhere and at significant savings over buying from a reef only site. That the socket on the cord will most likely fit your meter. The socket is typically a BNC fitting, whatever that means.

A quick search found that the typical price for a Pinpoint is $55, I found them as cheap as $33 and as high as $90. People just prey on us hobbyists, sad thing is some are dumb enough to pay the high price. Then I found "other" probes ranging from $18 to $200+, some can even come apart so you can replace the electrolytic solution within the probe. So long as the probe fits your socket (BNC) then I say find the cheapest one you can.

Oh and I'm just a fat vegetarian. Don't eat the meat. I'm only a wholesaler for the stuff. My buyers tell me that it tastes like stuff that tastes like chicken. They use it as a luncheon type meat. I guess it could be considered a Spam that tastes like stuff that tastes like chicken. Most tell me they cut the can on the top and bottom, push the meat out and slice it 3/8" thick. Fry the patties as you would bologna or Spam. Put in a sandwich. My best customers are the French where they believe horse meat is a delicacy, so you can imagine that when I sell them Zebra, Unicorn or Pegasus meat that's when I make my real money. I can get you steaks of Unicorn if prefer that to a ground product.

Thanks for the input, everyone. My case was similar to yours: Got the Meter/Controller then started my own startup company, so it sat on the back burner for a while. Most of the info I came across in congruent with yours, but I saw a couple forum posts saying that the companies just want you to buy more probes more often and exaggerated the effects of drying out. I also got advice from one of our LFS saying if it is clean, never used, and not crusty/corroded from the gel drying around it that it *could* still be fine.

Both AquaTek and RCA carry the Milwaukee brand probes and from what he described, the connection is coaxial, so should fit my Jenco and most controllers. Before ordering or grabbing a new one, I am going to calibrate this one, read some measurements from tap, RO/DI, cichlid, and reef tank, and compare those results to the two different boxed test kits I've been using. While not as accurate, it should let me know if it's reading in the same ballpark. I'm not too optimistic since it has been dry a few years, but it's worth a try and after all... the science of all this is a big part of why I do it! I'll post back tonight with my results.

Wow.. I think this will make 4 days straight going to either RCA, AquaTek or both... The hockey rink would be getting jealous except I'm stopping by the LFS on the way.

Oh and I'm just a fat vegetarian. Don't eat the meat. I'm only a wholesaler for the stuff. My buyers tell me that it tastes like stuff that tastes like chicken. They use it as a luncheon type meat. I guess it could be considered a Spam that tastes like stuff that tastes like chicken. Most tell me they cut the can on the top and bottom, push the meat out and slice it 3/8" thick. Fry the patties as you would bologna or Spam. Put in a sandwich. My best customers are the French where they believe horse meat is a delicacy, so you can imagine that when I sell them Zebra, Unicorn or Pegasus meat that's when I make my real money. I can get you steaks of Unicorn if prefer that to a ground product.

Mike,

Any market for dragon meat. The Black Knight just hoisted on over the fence into my back yard. It grills up nice and tender with a robust flavor. Great with a Shiner Bock!

I calibrated the unused probe that had been dry for a few years. It never completely stabilized when I was calibrating. After setting at 7.01 then to 10.01, the 7.01 would be off slightly each time I went back. I tested tap water, RO/DI, and my tank water and it was reading about the same as the API test kits. I left in the tank over night and through the day; checking on it periodically. It fluctuated between 7.9 and 8.1 all night and morning. Through the day it went up to to 8.2. I have no experience with the controller or probes to compare. I am not sure, but possibly the fluctuation I am seeing (it will go from 8.23 to 8.24 and back to 8.23 several times while it gradually went up or down) is because the probe is dated and was stored dry.

I need a probe with a longer cord anyway, so I am ordering one. This one will do for now while I hunt down a good source.

re: dragon meat: The market price depends on whether you are talking about an African or European dragon.

my probe was dry for over a year and once i calibrated it, it worked fine, the deal is if it doesnt calibrate when u go to7 or 10 then its not reding, If it went down to 7.01 then its fine and if it went back up to 9.98-99 then its fine. Just dont let it dry out now that its been calibrated and in salt water.

Dang it Will. I was running 2 tabs with all these links to cheaper units and I X'd the wrong one, being my other reply. Anyways A company called Extech comes up all over the net for $39 and I found an Extech on Amazon using "Thefind" searching for PH electrodes for only $30.