Tank without power for several hours

Seems odd to lose a few fish after that amount of time.

Take a air pump or two to help with circulation. Walmart has cheap ones called a BubbleBox found in the fishing supply isle.

The biggest thing, in my limited experience, will be heat. When our AC went out a few weeks ago, the tank got up to 84-86 and stayed there a few days. My LPS showed some signs of displeasure but I didn't lose anything.

I was able to keep the temps down by putting my GFO/GAC reactor inside a Styrofoam cooler and filled it with water and ice. You can also float bottles/bags full of ice.

what if any fish died? Hopefully not the SOHAL tang......

The SOHAL's gone sad.gif...At least 6 fish and a cleaner shrimp lost, in total. One fish missing and presumed dead. A watchman goby, but I don't have confirmation, yet, that there really was one in the tank.

The coral all seems to have come through ok. Everything has opened up. There was one coral skeleton, looked like a candy cane, maybe, that was there. Not sure if it was dead before or from this.

Do our tanks know we're on vacation and do this on purpose? Seems like this always happens!

You are so right....

I had my tank not have any power for 3 days (while on vacation) and only lost a few shrimp and a couple of fish, I'm surprised that happened so quickly.

I'm sorry about your loss Don, I was really looking forward to getting the SOHAL tang, it is always sad when something like this happens. We lost 10 fish in the move (3 tangs) which was very discouraging for us...we aren't used to that. I don't even kill spiders in my house, we don't believe in killing anything unless necessary....so for us to have our pets die b/c of stress that we created is just sad.

So sorry to hear this! I had left the fish trap out for Don to pick up before I left for my vacation over the 4th. When I got home last night it was still on my porch, I had hoped that meant that he'd gotten to pick it up and used it to catch the Sohal. :(