temp ?

Will

Tank Temperature  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think that the temp is as important as it being constant. The folks I deal with prefer to keep the tank's temperature as stable as possible. From what I've garnered it really doesn't matter so much if you keep your tank between 75-76 or 79-80 so much as you are not swinging from 75-80 all day long. Some will insist that corals will grow a little slower at lower temps due to the metabolism being slowed. I've heard that it will cause the color to become a lot more intense, I've not seen anything that supports this claim since there are so many factors that can offset color or size within the tank. The really big point is that many corals can be subjected to stresses if held above 83 and this stress can cause their decline.

I keep my heater stuck to 75, and my tank hangs out around 74-76 luckily. We keep our AC set to 80 for most daylight hours, and 78 at night - but it's probably going to come down some in the near future.

I have a strong preference for deepwater fish, which don't take well to being introduced into tanks over 76 degrees, and typically come from places as cold as 68-70, but usually 70-74. I've built my tank around this concept, making sure all my equipment (lights, pumps, everything) is as energy efficient as I could afford - which in turn transfers little to no added heat to the system.

Mike is right though, stability is key to longevity & health of your organisms. Temperature swings of approximately 2-3 degrees are to be expected. If you're experiencing more than 3 degrees, you may consider trying to raise your low end by a degree or two (so long as it keeps you from prolonged periods above 80-81), or look into a means of cooling the tank / exhausting some of the heat.

I have run may tank cooler(76-77) in the past and now run at 78-80 and have observed no change in the coloration or growth that I can attribute to color. As my water quality has continued to improve running zeo, my coral growth and color have also improved. Net, net for me is stability and not the set point.

I'll add another two cents. This past week our AC went out and the tank got up to 84-86. It stayed that way for 3 days total. I lost nothing and the only thing that showed any signs if stress was my hammer and frogspawn. I think the slow rise(over 12 hours) from my normal 80ish limited the insult.

I don't advocate keeping your tank that hot but it shouldn't harm too much if you get there. I do not have any SPS so YMMV.

I'm with CR Mike, stability is more important.

I like my tanks to stay in the mid to upper 70's but I've known tanks to stay in the mid 80's without problems. What worries me about a tank staying in the 80's is if there's a power or A/C failure there's a lot less safety margin before it gets to warm and animals start dieing.