LIVE small Sand Dollars... $6.00 each

ReefGazer

Just got back from Port Aransas and found a few live Sand dollars. I was wondering if anyone would like a couple? I'm located in Austin near Oltorf. Shoot me a pm and I'm sure we can set up a time to meet. Thanks all!

post-1070-032104200 1275516350_thumb.jpg

I not trying to be rude but you might want to reconsider the hobby. I suspect you have a fair amount of livestock in your tank that is wild caught. Same thing. You just don't know the people who caught it.

Bill

I not trying to be rude but you might want to reconsider the hobby. I suspect you have a fair amount of livestock in your tank that is wild caught. Same thing. You just don't know the people who caught it.

Bill

Totally agreed.

While I try and avoid most wild-caught specimens myself, sometimes that is unavoidable. Most things you run across in this hobby will indeed be wild-caught.

First of all, I think it is a bold statement to make assumptions about what I may have in my tank. I do realize that in this hobby, one must be careful of what and from whom livestock is purchased.

I always do my research and always buy from licensed dealers. I never purchase livestock from people strolling the coast and taking whatever they want. I'm also an avid diver and follower of CITES regulations. I've seen many people around the world dive and take things without any thought. I'm sorry if I offended anybody....it's a sensitive subject to me.

First of all, I think it is a bold statement to make assumptions about what I may have in my tank. I do realize that in this hobby, one must be careful of what and from whom livestock is purchased.

I always do my research and always buy from licensed dealers. I never purchase livestock from people strolling the coast and taking whatever they want. I'm also an avid diver and follower of CITES regulations. I've seen many people around the world dive and take things without any thought. I'm sorry if I offended anybody....it's a sensitive subject to me.

First of all I wouldn't say I was "taking whatever I want". I wouldn't have taken them if they were endangered, or if the law was against it. Where I got these, you could literally reach down and pick them up by the handful. I could easily have taken a lot of them, but I chose not to. Instead I took even fewer than the legal limit. I respect your opinion, but I don't think this is neccessarily the best place to discuss it.

• Like 1

I have no issues with hand collecting for our tanks. Its silly to think its somehow more ethical for the pros to collect en mass than for individuals to carefully select a few creatures to take home.

That said, if you're going to collect you should do so responsibly. Sand dollars do not fare well in captivity. They need very, very large tanks (6 square feet +) with very deep (6"+) well established sand beds. Otherwise they will starve do death. Many things are best left in the ocean.

Teoahnna, these wouldn't make it in your tank or mine either for that matter.