Great way to wake up!

GKarshens

I stumble out of bed and down the stairs knowing my coffee will be waiting for me. Only to step into water off the last step. Yes I left my RO/DI running all night. Fortunately it didn't get off the tile floor. So about a 1/2 an hour and a blister from wringing out wet towels later, not much harm done. I think I am going to order a water alarm!

yeah, I need one of those, and I'm adding 2 water sensors to my house alarm system (didnt know they had those!) Oh, and you need a wet/dry vac. This last time the water heater leaked, I got most of the water up very quickly and easily.

I stumble out of bed and down the stairs knowing my coffee will be waiting for me. Only to step into water off the last step. Yes I left my RO/DI running all night. Fortunately it didn't get off the tile floor. So about a 1/2 an hour and a blister from wringing out wet towels later, not much harm done. I think I am going to order a water alarm!

or get an auto shut off for it!

(I think this is cause for you to tell the wife that its time for that fish room Gabe...)

Is everyone running RO/DI into the same container that you mix saltwater in? I bought an auto shut off kit for my brute trash can, but how does everyone know the volume of water generated by the RO/DI unit to later add salt mix?

Also, Gabe, my RO/DI unit has a valve that will supposedly act as an auto shut off when paired with a float valve. Perhaps yours has a similar feature?

Is everyone running RO/DI into the same container that you mix saltwater in? I bought an auto shut off kit for my brute trash can, but how does everyone know the volume of water generated by the RO/DI unit to later add salt mix?

No. I have 55G of RO/DI in a barrel and I siphon off water into the white 5G jugs where I mix my salt.

I don't like the idea of a float valve because the first couple minutes of water after turning on the RO is high in TDS. I have a T valve before the DI that I use to bleed off that water until the TDS comes down.

I don't like the idea of a float valve because the first couple minutes of water after turning on the RO is high in TDS. I have a T valve before the DI that I use to bleed off that water until the TDS comes down.

Hmmm, my TDS meter reads 0 but I have heard of this.

At lowes and home depot they sell hose timers, so you can hook your RO up to it and set the on time, it will turn off before it can overflow. That is what I do instead of a float valve. I have marks on my reservoir, 4hr, 8hr, and 10hr so I know what to set it to when I turn it on.

That's fine. Cointinue to use a T-valve to bleed it off, but put a float valve on the container and then shut off the RO/DI when the container is full.

peace of mind...and you don't have to change anything else.

Makes me glad I have a mud room with sink in our house where I set my 5g bucket in to collect RODI. But I have left it on over night...

Glad to hear no damage to the house though! When I saw the thread title I was afraid it was something with your new tank.

OK....so my RO/DI unit is hooked up to my washing machine....I fill up 5g at a time in a jug...after the final straw of me flooding the upstairs so severely that it leaked through the floors down into the garage and into my husband's Craftsman tool chest that he has under a surveillance camera because he is tired of screaming "Don't touch the tools...."...the only danger of me flooding anything is having the 5g jug go over. It takes a good 2 hours to fill and we now have a direct drain into the backyard instead of filling up the washer and trying to conserve. Oh well...at least my 2nd floor won't rot through and become the 1st floor....

Now, are you guys saying that by me just turning the RO/DI unit on and having it start directly into the 5g jug is not a good idea because of the TDS residue coming out first and having a high reading? I do not have a TDS meter, so I'd never know....

OK....so my RO/DI unit is hooked up to my washing machine....I fill up 5g at a time in a jug...after the final straw of me flooding the upstairs so severely that it leaked through the floors down into the garage and into my husband's Craftsman tool chest that he has under a surveillance camera because he is tired of screaming "Don't touch the tools...."...the only danger of me flooding anything is having the 5g jug go over. It takes a good 2 hours to fill and we now have a direct drain into the backyard instead of filling up the washer and trying to conserve. Oh well...at least my 2nd floor won't rot through and become the 1st floor....

Now, are you guys saying that by me just turning the RO/DI unit on and having it start directly into the 5g jug is not a good idea because of the TDS residue coming out first and having a high reading? I do not have a TDS meter, so I'd never know....

Gabe is saying that when you first kick on your RO/DI, the TDS that comes off the RO membrane is high. Therefore your DI chamber has to work harder to take the TDS back to zero. The harder it works, the shorter time the DI resin lasts.

NOW...that being said I get about a year out of my DI resin and since I can replace the resin for $10, I'm going to sweat such a small detail. So, you'll be fine w/out putting in a bypass valve like outlined above!

And if you want to be super picky about it, you can.