Tank progress

KeeperOfTheZoo

I hope y'all don't mind a little self indulgence on my part. :angry:

I was looking at pictures tonight and had a moment of realization.... my tank has gone through a lot of changes in the last 7+ months since I got it!

October... this was the original set up. The original fish and single mushroom rock that I bought. See how deep that crushed coral was. Yikes

January... all the big, mean & aggressive fish are GONE! We now have a little clown & a yellow tang. Also a few more corals. Watch the growth on the nepthea! At this point my mushrooms started budding like mad, the xenia took off and my single green ric has since split and one section has three mouths and is in the process of splitting more. Also reduced the CC bed, a lot.

February... Hmm, more corals. Seeing a pattern here yet? I also realized how fast my tang is growing.

April... cruddy picture, my digital camera grew legs while I was on vacation. Grr. This is a phone camera shot. You can get the general idea though. Massive growth in some of my softie colonies (crazy xenia, anthelia, nepthea, palys and zoas). More corals and a few more fish. Finally have a frogspawn (thank you James, I LOVE that coral it is just gorgeous), my candy canes are growing new heads almost as I watch, I finally ID'd my mystery SPS as fuzzy green pocilapora and both mini colonies I have are growing like mad. The CC is now gone in most of the tank replaced with a shallow sand bed. And check out the coraline growth across the back of the tank.

The cool thing is, I know in another 7 months it'll be even more amazing. I can't wait to look back then and see how it's changed.

post-1140-12729413126242_thumb.jpg

post-1140-12729413337404_thumb.jpg

post-1140-12729413851523_thumb.jpg

post-1140-12729414792426_thumb.jpg

I love see the progression of tanks... and yours is off and going great! Glad you are enjoying the Frogspawn. The Zoa's I got from you are doing great, thinking they are planning on spreading :) We will see if their color shifts, as I just put new MH bulbs in.

Thanks y'all!

It really surprised me how much the tank has changed. I knew it had, but I guess when we look at our tanks every day we loose sight of the magnitude of change that goes on (looking forward to the 1 year mark, are you posting pics somewhere ORD?). I can't believe the growth on some of the corals.

The pocilipora surprised me. The growth of the softies is fairly obvious, but I didn't realize I was getting so much growth on the few SPS frags I have until I looked at pictures.

Dave, a blog would be a good idea. Gotta find the time to get it going.

James, I noticed that just in the last couple days several of my corals are showing more color including the zoas you have (I kept a similar sized frag). They aren't back to their best, but do look better. I think everything is finally adjusting to the new bulbs. They are fast growers so keep an eye on them. That frogspawn taught me a lesson about coral placement... it stung the daylights out of a small frag of Miami orchid that I have. Thankfully it didn't kill the whole thing and I have another much larger frag that has more growth so it wasn't too painful of a lesson. At least not for me personally, the corals may not agree.

Again... a big thanks. Without the support of everyone here I'm not sure I would have made it threw the not so fun parts of a new tank to get to where I am now.