100 gallon rimless build

medi

I have the 1" SCWD and at first I was having a problem with how slow it changed directions, it was taking a few minutes to make a rotation. I expected it to change within 10-20 seconds and it was no where close. I called the manufacturer and they sent me this litte tube that you drop in the bottom of the unit that makes the flow more concentrated on the impeller wich makes it switch faster, about every 30 seconds now. It was free BTW, I think that some of the newest units come with this tube so you may already have it.

Your work looks very professional, nice job!

Thanks for the information. I pulled my SCWD apart and discovered that the carrier had somehow come out of the internal groove and had become twisted inside the housing. I pulled it apart and everything should be working better now, but unfortunately I drained all of the test water and so now I won't know until I fill it up for real. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd hate to have to order something else. I know my wife is getting annoyed by seeing UPS dropping stuff off nearly everyday. To add to her frustration UPS dropped 90 lbs. of Tropic Eden Aragasnow on my doorstep, but hey what's a marriage if the wife isn't a little mad from time to time. smile.gif

On a side note I decided to change the sump that I had already plumbed. mad.gif I did this because I want to have a fuge and also I want a larger sump for equipment and the ability to hold a little extra water. I chose the PM R36+. I ordered it through RCA, but I have been in direct contact with PM. The standard fuge comes with dual 1" bulkheads and dual 4" filter socks. Since I have significantly more flow through my tank I didn't think that setup would work for me. They are building my a setup with dual 1.5" bulkheads and dual 7" socks. Unfortunately, I am having to sacrifice a small amount of room in the fuge so that I can squeeze my skimmer in next to the socks, but I think the reward will be well worth it. All in all this setup is getting very close to being finished. Which I am very happy about because I am starting to get antsy.

I picked up my new sump from RCA yesterday and this thing is awesome. I know PM is a little higher priced than other brands, but I think this thing is well worth it. The craftsmanship is excellent and you can tell there is alot of thought that goes into the designs. Also, they are a local company so it is always nice to be able to support the locals. I will try and get pics posted later. The only problem I am having is that I am having to redo my plumbing because of the new bulkhead locations. I have decided to go with flexible tubing this time due to the ease of movement and I believe it will be less noisy. My question is what kind of tubing should I use. I was thinking about spa flex, but the guy at HD told me you had to use a special glue that they don't carry and he wasn't sure where I could buy it at. Has anyone heard of this before? It sounded a little strange to me. I figured you could just use standard PVC glue. Any thoughts?

Today I moved the aquarium to its new location and re-hung my light over it. I also started the very slow process of filling the tank with water from my RO/DI. I have a 75 GPD unit so I imagine it will be full sometime tomorrow. Assuming there is no new leaks then I will mix in the salt and hopefully get the sand and LR in and start the aquascape this weekend. My MP40 ES driver is supposed to come in Friday morning so I will have new toy to play with when I get off work. I am excited to see what kind of flow this thing is capable of. The lights in the pics are just my actinics. I had already turned my one 250 watt MH off, but I am actually very surprised how well it lit the tank. I still plan on changing it down the road, but I think it will work well enough for now. The pic of the internal components of the sump are just to show the craftsmanship that PM puts into their refugiums. I am still very impressed with this thing.

post-698-006658300 1275537204_thumb.jpg

post-698-040622400 1275537250_thumb.jpg

post-698-086167200 1275537311_thumb.jpg

post-698-037542100 1275537390_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is up and running. I moved all of my livestock over and so far everything is doing great. I like my first attempt at aquascaping because it give me a lot of room on the sandbed and I think it looks pretty clean. Also, it is very open so the fish have plenty of places to swim and there is not many places for detritus to build up. On the other hand I can't decide if I like the large center mass in the aquarium. I still am toying with the idea of two rock peninsulas with a valley in between. I can't decide. Any opinions?

post-698-051213700 1276289525_thumb.jpg

post-698-028496200 1276289573_thumb.jpg

post-698-057450900 1276289618_thumb.jpg

post-698-028952800 1276289656_thumb.jpg

i too like the craftsmanship PM puts into there productm and everytime i need a part(if i need one) there guys are on top of helping there customer out. I have there big sump, skimmer, and calcium reactor. Havnt had any issues. And there LOCAL!!!! Tank looks great. Cant wait to see some pretty SPS in it. Good Job!!!

• 7 months later...

Well I wish I could say there was something to update. Everything is just slowly growing along. I'm going to change lighting soon so we'll be updating with pics and more details then. For now how about a few crummy iPhone pics. Sorry I couldn't do better I was running out the door when I took these.

post-698-0-44836300-1295905603_thumb.jpg

post-698-0-59218100-1295905620_thumb.jpg

post-698-0-03643500-1295905643_thumb.jpg

Not at this point in time. I'm going to let everyone else be the guinea pig for LEDs before I invest in such an expensive tech. I don't like the way the current fixture distributes the lighting around the tank. I have almost no light in the back, very little in the front, and a blindingly bright spot in the center. My current fixture has very small reflectors so I am building a new hanging canopy that will house 2x250 MH Lumenarc Minis and 4 x39W T5s in hopes to diffuse the light across the entire tank. I've kind of gotten lazy here recently so I haven't been working on it much though.

• 1 year later...