100 gallon rimless build

medi

Well I have finally made the plunge back into a large tank. Due to location I was restricted to a 36" wide tank so I couldn't go too big, but I think this will be a nice size and easily maintained.

On to the tank. I ordered a Glasscages rimless 36x37x18 tank that comes out to be just over 100 gallons. I will be taking this tank to Shane over at Fishy Business to have him drill 5 holes, 3 overflows and 2 returns,. Just in case ya'll haven't seen them he makes a very nice looking low profile overflow that takes up very little room. As of now I am planning on using a Mag 1200 for my return with the new Vortech EcoSmart MP40w for additional flow. As for the lighting I will be using my current lighting setup which is a Coralife aqualight pro 250W MH with 2x65W PC actinics. I plan to change this in the future, but I think it will be adequate for now until I can get the funds to upgrade. I still haven't made up my mind on the skimmer, but am thinking about the new SWC Xtreme 200 cone skimmer that is being released in May. I plan on making this SPS dominant with some LPS and zoas.

Now on to the stand. I had some free time last night so I was able to build the basic 2x4 frame that I will be using. Still needs quite a bit of work, but you should get the idea. My plan is to build a complete one piece skin that is fully removable in order to facilitate maintenance.

I have the basic plans of what I want in mind, but as I want to make sure I do this right the first time I am always open to suggestions or critizisms so please feel free to chime in.

Now on to a few pics.

post-698-12720473754214_thumb.jpg

post-698-12720474344588_thumb.jpg

post-698-12720474759242_thumb.jpg

post-698-12720475120197_thumb.jpg

Good choice in dimensions, I'm hoping to set up my 36x36x27 tomorrow, and will also be using the MP40w on EcoSmart driver for the job - though I might add a second MP40w, or an MP10w to the driver down the road. I look forward to seeing your build progress, as so far, everyone else with a tank near 3x3' footprint has been going quite a different direction with their tank than I am.

I'll be making a build thread soon, just waiting for more stuff to get done & photographed so I can dump a bunch of stuff in the thread all at once :D

I am almost finished with the base stand, put the first coat of primer on last night, and mdavis735 helped me build a removable outer skin to cover the base stand with. It still needs lots of putty, sanding, and maybe some moulding, but you can at least get the idea. Also, I ordered the upgraded drivers for my MP20 this afternoon so I may have one heck of a wave in my solana until I can get this tank up and running. Finally, my tank shipped from glasscages yesterday and is supposed to arrive on Tuesday.

post-698-12725702470258_thumb.jpg

It is being drop shipped via freight in Bastrop, and it is actually shipping with Hydro Innovations big tank. That is the only reason I was able to afford the shipping. As far as the size goes I am looking forward to aquascaping since there will be so much room to play. I actually wanted to do a 24" depth, but this tank is on special so it would have cost me several hundred more to get the taller tank.

I picked up the tank from Bastrop this past Thursday. I am actually very happy with the way it turned out. I have to clean up the silicone, but I was kind of expecting that from glasscages. They also finally got a glass polisher so the top is a nice, smooth, beveled edge. Also, when I was down there I picked up a couple of plastic 25 gallon drums to use for my water station. Stephen aka hydro innovations hooked me up with an awesome deal.

Friday I started the day with a drive down to Kingfish. They gave me a hand with drilling the overflows and returns on the back glass. Turned out rather nicely if I do say so myself. The overflow box is rated at 1500 gph and has dual 1.5" outputs. I ordered it from glass-holes.com. They have a great looking product for a good price, just in case anyone is thinking about drilling their tank. I also picked up a 1" SCWD and a reeflo snapper pump to use for my return. I know this is probably way to much flow, but I figure i'll dial it down with a valve on the output and also it will be plumbed with 3/4" line so the back pressure should signicantly cut down the flow. I have to give props to Kingfish for all the help they have given me with this project. Without their help I'm not sure where this would be.

Finally I moved the tank to the base stand in my kitchen, wife's not happy about the current location, but I can't move it to the spot until I am ready to fully set it up. I also did a little more work on the stand's skin. Still needs alot of work, but it is coming along. Let me know what you think.

post-698-12733566727124_thumb.jpg

post-698-12733566814914_thumb.jpg

post-698-12733566875616_thumb.jpg

post-698-1273356694465_thumb.jpg

Nice! I really like the overflow. Much nicer looking than the typical top to bottom overflows. Hmmm, I want one of those!

I like these boxes too. I hate having to waste all that real estate with those giant over flow boxes. One more thing as you can see I am missing a 3/4" flare nozzel for one of my returns.

i like it as well, hard to belive that sized overflow box is rate for 1500gph..The next tank i get will have an overflow that is all the way across the back outside the tank. ONE DAY........it may be awhile.

lol...I understand that. I initially wanted to do a calfo style overflow, but I couldn't afford to have the slots in the glass drilled. I also agree on the size of the box. I believe it's the vented dual 1.5" drains that allow it to have that much flow. I am also plumbing it with 1.5" all the way to the sump.

This tank is going to look great.. When I see this tank it reminds me of a tank im sure all of ya'll have seen on reefcentral, the "Bonsai Inspired" sps tank. Not sure how you are planning on aquascaping, but theres an idea. nice build!

thanks for all the kind words. I am thinking about two rock columns coming off of the back wall with a kind of valley running between. I'm not sure if the tank is big enough to get the appearance I want, but I'm willing to try.

I just ordered my skimmer for this setup. I chose the SWC XTREME Cone Mini S. I think it's a little big for this setup, but I plan on having a pretty heavy stock so I think it will be worth it.

On a side note I'm not sure why they call this thing mini. It's huge!! 10.5 x 10.5 x 25

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a few days since any updates. I finally finished my plumbing and I am not certain I am going to keep the returns the way they are currently. I had to use flex tubing to connect the SCWD to the returns, but unfortunately it wasn't flexible enough to connect them without running a lot of extra tubing in circles just to make it work. I know I am losing quite a bit of flow, but I just wanted to get some water in it and leak test everything. I will probably figure something out before the final placement. Other than that I got my new skimmer, leak the tested the system, and I get to report there was no leaks to be found. biggrin.gif Also, I picked up 115 lbs. of LR from Chad and Belinda and I ordered my sand last night. I chose the Tropic Eden aragasnow. Hopefully it will arrive within the next two weeks. I want to get this moved to it's final spot within the next few weeks.

post-698-047604800 1274451981_thumb.jpg

post-698-067421500 1274452065_thumb.jpg

post-698-025263300 1274452129_thumb.jpg

post-698-018020300 1274452188_thumb.jpg

post-698-040002000 1274452244_thumb.jpg

post-698-079394400 1274452323_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.

Do you think the Dart is running too much flow through the SCWD? Are the new SCWDs better than the old 1/2" ones?

Shouldn't be. The new 1" SCWD are rated to 3500 GPH and I am only running a Reeflo Snapper. As far as if they are any better that I couldn't tell you. I've never used one before so I'm not sure what to expect. The only good thing that I know has changed is that the top is removable and you can order replacement parts for it if it craps out.