Coral ID Help

JeffT

I am looking for help Identifying 2 corals.

1) Far left of tank - I thought it was a xenia, but am not sure. It has long branches and grows fast.

2) middle of tank (directly underneath purple cap) - some sort of kenya tree family member?

Thanks!

4377298645_30c6a25271_b.jpg

1) Kinda looks like clove polyps... do they retract at night into a mat?

The 'fingers' retract sometimes into a fist, but most of the time they stay open and waving.

2) Yeah, does looks like kenya tree that is not fully open.

That is as open as it gets. The ends look like little pine cones.

I was hoping to bring some of the xenia/clove polyps to the meeting Saturday, but I realized that I didn't really know the actual name.

Edited by JeffT

I think I had a tank full of those at one point! They multiply really fast and when they form dense patches can be hypnotizing to watch as the current waves them around.

I think this link in WetWebMedia may point you in the right direction, if they are what I had, they are definitively Xeniiid of some sort.

1) I believe that is Anthelia aka waving-hand coral (is it matted on the rock?)...xenia has a stalk or trunk with smaller branching/extending polyps.

The coral is matted on the rock and the stalks grow up from there.

2) +on the kenya tree (capnella sp.)

Thanks for all the replies. So now I know what to call it and can find out if there is any interest in it.

I will try and get in there and frag some off. It seems pretty straight forward and if all works out then I could have some fixed to rubble.

I am planning on attending the meeting and will bring some pieces along.