Another Ich Thread

I have never experienced Marine Ich before, but I think I may have it now. Although I am not 100% sure, perhaps someone can help me confirm. A Royal Gramma that I bought in the Vivid group order today appears with a couple dozen small white spots spread variously around his body. These spots were not there yesterday. So far, none of my other fish have any of these white spots.

I read through a couple Ich threads here and elsewhere. What would be my best solution to this problem if it is indeed Ich? I do not have a QT tank. But I suppose I could set one up if need be. I just have no idea how I am going to catch my fish and transfer them over. Seriously, I think it would be impossible without tearing down the entire aquascape.

In Fishtales' thread, Kich-Ich was mentioned, which I assume was used in the display tank?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, the Royal Gramma appears healthy and is eating, he doesn't appear "sick" other than the white spots which appeared overnight. Don't know if that means anything.

Thanks,

ChristianR

I'd just leave him be. Those are really hardy fish it will most likely recover on its own. It is stressed right now from being new. The ich will go away once it gets established.

Good picture. Yeah, he will be fine. It is normal for fish to get a little spotty after being introduced into a tank. Once they are acclimated fully the spots diminish. When the fish gets stress the spots come back. Essentially, the parasites are always there, they just manifest visually during a certain cycle of their life.

It has been my experience that the best method for keeping a fish healthy is to make sure that the diet is giving them all that is needed. If they are getting all that they need then their immune systems can keep the ich at bay, just like in the wild.

Personally, I think Garlic is best used on Pizza. There really has been no significant data to support the use of garlic as a means of improving a fish's health. Good marketing goes along way if the public is willing to accept it.

Good point, however, I think BECAUSE there may be nothing that says otherwise, companies are free to market products and claim anything they want. I'm a Pharmacist and so I understand very well how this works. By all means, if you think it works, use it. I don't believe Garlic is apart of the natural diet in the wild....

Just my two cents!

I dont think that garlic itself really helps fish get healthy. I have noticed a significant feeding reaction when adding garlic. I'm not sure if its a pavlovian reaction or not but I have seen a feeding reaction from just adding a drop of garlic extreme without any food. I think getting a critter to eat is one of the best things you can do to get them healthy.

I had this algae blenny that I wasn't able to get eat at all. Added some garlic to some nori and he completely ignored that but started munching on the algae I left him on the glass.

+1, I don't think the garlic in itself cures Ich, I think it stimulates the fish's appetite. A fish that eats is much more likely to outlast and survive the ich.

My guess is that the gramma did not bring ich to your tank, the ich was already there but your current fish are healthy and able to fend it off. The gramma was stressed by travel and therefore susceptible. Keep him eating and you should be fine.

I think cleaner shrimp are awesome and help out as well. Really cool to watch them pick of parasites from your fish.

Definitely a good idea to get a few. I have three in my tank to keep the parasite count down to lessen the stress on the fish.

I am glad that the spots are almost gone. They may come and go as you make changes in your tank. I have noticed that fish with smaller scales tend to show the spots easier than fish with larger scales. I don't know if it is just a perspective thing or if there is just less places for the parasites to hide. Either way, he should be fine. thumbsup.gif

Glad your fish is doing well.

I feed garlic and I've never had an ich outbreak - or even seen it on my fish - and I don't have a QT tank. I don't know if it is the garlic, but for $10/bottle that has lasted over 1.5 years, its cheap insurance.

Good marketing goes along way if the public is willing to accept it.

If it's well written. People are always willing to accept things, people do it thousands of times a day and people don't even know it.

Had to throw it in! </threadhijack>

If it's well written. People are always willing to accept things, people do it thousands of times a day and people don't even know it.

Had to throw it in! </threadhijack>

I think the term is "propaganda". Either way, I think that garlic works, at the very least as a feeding attractant.