Who runs a quarantine tank?

chrisfowler99

I think I'm about to set one up.

The last two fish I have added to the tank haven't made it and I believe it was due to feeding. The fish I have are very accustomed to feeding time and aggressively eat everything they can find.

I haven't lost any of my original fish.

The two fish I have added were extremely passive. I think they were hiding from my presence near the tank as well as not being adjusted to what I was feeding. I figure quarantine will give them time to get used to me and what I'm feeding, as well as preventing any possible infection.

I've got a 20g tank (formerly a sump) that I need to clean up. I've got a spare heater.

I figure I need to pick up a sponge filter and get that running in my sump ASAP to get it ready for a quarantine tank and I need to pick up a powerhead, small light and some PVC for hiding.

This would be something that I would only run when needed, though it might be useful for a frag tank in the future if/when I finish stocking fish.

What do any of you guys do.

I don't and haven't been bitten yet by infections. I have lost some to feeding issues just as you have.

I would think you could use a small hang on back filter instead of a sponge filter, and it would also eliminate the need for a powerhead. Maybe an Aquaclear and just use the ceramic rings in the bag as a source of "live rock". Just let it run in your system for a while to seed it. You could even dry it out in between critters to prevent spreading any nasties.

Just my $.02

I have a 10 gal that I use as temporary qtank. Cheap lights that came with the tank, Aquaclear for filter and circulation (I keep the sponge and ceramic beads in my sump to seed them) and heater.

PVC for hiding and I painted the side walls and back with black paint to reduce stress on the fish and make it feel more cozy.

Like Robb, I have never had a quarantine tank ... and there proabbly has only been once that I could have used one.

Since I don't add fish much (haven't in quite a while), I guess I just don't feel the need for one.

But this thread is generating some great ideas for having stuff handy!

I keep a sponge filter on my return pump for my main tank. Wash it out every now and then. keeps my return pump healthy and keeps a sponge there. I just hook it up to a maxijet. I use an old sump and a HOB skimmer. It works well. I run tubing from the pump in the main chamber of the sump into the sponge filter. Tack on another sponge on the intake of the pump to avoid accidents with weak fish. add skimmer to smaller chamber and it works pretty well.

Like Robb, I have never had a quarantine tank ... and there proabbly has only been once that I could have used one.

Since I don't add fish much (haven't in quite a while), I guess I just don't feel the need for one.

But this thread is generating some great ideas for having stuff handy!

If I hadn't been 0-for my last two fish I probably wouldn't be considering it. I don't imagine adding many more fish.

But it also ends up being a decent excuse for a frag tank. :lol:

I have a 12g eclipse that i'm using, the all-in-one makes it nice and easy to set up. PVC elbows make it medication safe and give the fish some shelter. I haven't actually used it for QT yet, but both my pairs of clowns are now laying eggs so I'm probably going to use it to try and get some baby Osc. and/or Clarkii clowns growing.

Please be sure to provide the fish with either varied/large PVC fittings (like elbows & couplers) or at least a couple terracotta pots to take refuge in. The emptier the tank, the less secure the fish will feel & behave, causing more stress and higher probability of disease. And definitely don't over-light the tank, I have never used anything but ambient light via room light fixtures and windows, but I've had the best luck with putting fish away in a busy/full interior that is dimly lit so they can have as calm & comfy a quarantine as possible.

I will definitely be putting in some varied sized PVC.

The ambient light from my tank might be sufficient for quarantine, for now, as I'm going to have the QT tank located very close to the main tank. Especially until I get a canopy. Once I get a canopy setup I may have to reevaluate that.

Ambient light from a neighboring aquarium should be more than enough from the get-go :) I typically had it away on it's own, only receiving artificial lighting if we were in the room w/the light on. Otherwise, it was dimly lit when the room had sunlight coming through the window, but that's it. If you're going to fix a canopy, or cover, for the QT I would suggest only setting up a single mini-LED moonlight type piece (3/4w - NOT the 1w units w/reflector) per 10-20g of volume. This would not be so bright that it should startle the fish when turning it off/on, and should be both bright enough and an attractive color for viewing your fish inside (and did I mention cheap? haha).