Japanese Swallowtail Angel

finfriend

I adopted a beautiful, little, female Swallowtail Angel (genicanthus melanospilos) a while back. She gets along great with all my other fish including some larger tangs etc. I really like her...... and so I decided to get a male (which by the way looks very different in this species) to make a mated pair.

My LFS has been trying to find me a male with no luck so I finally ordered one from Pet Solutions and it arrived today. I opened the box and looked in the bag and there was a perfectly beautiful little "FEMALE" angel!

Well Pet Solutions was very gracious and will try again to have their suppliers send me a male - these fish come from a loooong distance. In the meantime they said this female is mine and so I'm offering her here as I really want just a pair.

My camera isn't working but she is beautiful and in perfect condition. The size listed is a medium - she looks to be about 3 inches. Did I mention she is one of the only true reef safe angels?

With overnight shipping the price from Pet Solutions was over $80. I'm asking $45.

Photo is a stock image.

post-732-12681805545824_thumb.jpg

They truly are reef safe. I have a Lamarck's Angel, same genus, and she doesn't touch my coral. She loves mysid and brine. It is weird though, I have never seen a male genicanthus for sale. It has always been females.

They truly are reef safe. I have a Lamarck's Angel, same genus, and she doesn't touch my coral. She loves mysid and brine. It is weird though, I have never seen a male genicanthus for sale. It has always been females.

I've never seen a male either but thought I was getting one today. Ha! doh.gif

I've only order corals from The Reef Hot Spot, very satisfied customer, but you might want to check their site. There seems to be a difference in what is considered the Japanese Swallow Tail Angel (Genicanthus semifasciatus) and the Swallowtail Angel (Genicanthus melanospilos).

These is what they look like, both males:

Genicanthus semifasciatus --Japanese Swallowtail

post-40-12681899007599_thumb.jpg

Genicanthus melanospilos --Swallowtail

post-40-12681899367619_thumb.jpg

Which one were you looking for?

-Cindy-

I've only order corals from The Reef Hot Spot, very satisfied customer, but you might want to check their site. There seems to be a difference in what is considered the Japanese Swallow Tail Angel (Genicanthus semifasciatus) and the Swallowtail Angel (Genicanthus melanospilos).

These is what they look like, both males:

Genicanthus semifasciatus --Japanese Swallowtail

post-40-12681899007599_thumb.jpg

Genicanthus melanospilos --Swallowtail

post-40-12681899367619_thumb.jpg

Which one were you looking for?

-Cindy-

Hey Cindy, yes there are multiple so called swallowtails out there. It is the melanospilos male, the bottom photo that I'm after.

the reason u can not find a male is because they are hermaphroditic harum schoolers wich means they live in one male, multiple female schools. when a male is needed the dominate female changes from a female to a male; so your female-female pair might become a mated pair.

• Like 1

the reason u can not find a male is because they are hermaphroditic harum schoolers wich means they live in one male, multiple female schools. when a male is needed the dominate female changes from a female to a male; so your female-female pair might become a mated pair.

Thanks for the info. I had read they can sometimes change sex but would rather not chance it. Pet Solutions is working on trying to locate a male for me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things go more smoothly the second time.huh.gif

• 9 months later...