Bristle Worm Removal

Ashley

I'd love some advice on bristleworms. I've seen at least 2 rather large bristle worms in our 24 gallon. I'd say they are at least 6-8 inches long each. I've searched online and find differing opinions on whether these guys are good or bad. Quite honestly, they totally creep me out and I'd like these big ones out of the tank. I spent about half an hour watching them with a flashlight last night and then had worm-filled nightmares all night!!

Has anyone had luck with removing bristleworms? What are the best methods?

A little info about tank: 24 gallon Nano Cube with LPS and zoas, a royal gramma, a purple firefish, a yellow watchman goby, and clean-up crew.

Thanks for any input!!

Ashley

Many moons ago, people used to think bristleworms were bad, and went out of their way to get rid of them (Arrow crabs eat them, but they are creepy looking in their own manner). Now they are generally accepted as a great addition to your cleanup crew.

I saw leave them be .. they will help eat any excess food that finds it's way to the bottom of the tank.

From what I have read and understand, they are typically considered beneficial until they get too big. If I see one bigger than an inch I grab a shishkabob skewer and stab him right in the middle and throw em in the trash. They have barb stingers that will get in your skin if you accidentally touch em, so I would definately kill the 8 inch long ones.

James

As stated most of the species generally referred to as 'bristle worms' are considered beneficial in reef aquariums. If you are going to be moving around them, or trying to capture / kill them be aware that their 'bristles' can detatch and stick you or irritate nearby livestock. I've dove with a couple of people who have managed to 'fan' various bristle worms while trying to get a closer look and managed to get stuck despite never actually touching them.

Just FYI

post-811-12681894102406_thumb.jpg

They're great for pranks and practical jokes.

My grandma has learned to shake out her boots thoroughly before putting them on.

Edited by nemirn

I'd get a coral banded shrimp. I have one and she keeps the big bristle worms thinned out. I only have small ones in my tank. I agree. The big ones are super creepy.