Random fish death

Derry

So I take a look at my tank this morning to see one of my green chromis dead and pinned to the side of a K4. No warning whatsoever. All params are within the normal levels, and I've not made any recent changes to the tank. The chromis is one of the original fish in the tank and has been there for almost 3 yrs. It has been eating well and has shown no unusual behavior. Body mass looked good for a slender fish like a chromis. No gill inflammation, no lesions, no bite marks, no torn tissue or missing scales (although spending the night stuck to the k4 roughed up one side, but no major damage was visible). The only thing I saw that was out of the ordinary was a small chunk missing from the gill cover on one side, but the gill underneath looked undamaged.

This was my first fish loss in over a year. It's bad enough when someone goes carpet-surfing, or if you find out about a hitchhiker crab when fish start disappearing. At least you know the cause then. I have NO idea why this little guy went belly up, and that always fires up the paranoia machine. :lol:

+1...... Scribbled Rabbit fish went "ears up" Friday night/Saturday morning. Admitedly, he was the last fish added to the tank, but was also the largest. I personally prefer when they commit Gobi-cide, at least you know why they died.

That sucks! I just had one of my clients(I do tank maintenance and cleaning) have her foxface suddenly start acting goofy. When I got there it was laying on it's side barly moving(ofcourse behing rocks in an impossible to reach spot with out moving rocks). Anyway I checked everything out and the were no obvious reasons for his demise. She had me get him out and by the time I moved the rocks he was D.E.D. dead. poor guy. Same thing though no signs of anything that would have caused his sudden change in health. A week ago when I had been there he was happy as a clam. I looked around the tank to see if anything else was stressed and all her corals, tangs, and other fish looked happy too. I guess thats just what fish do sometimes.

I had a foxface that died suddenly about 3 months ago. I had that fish for 4 years and it seemed happy enough. It ate just fine the night before I found it dead. Fish just die sometimes. It's part of the hobby. It also makes me leary of buying really expensive fish.

If only my stupid Talbot damsels had been part of that pact :blink:

(Not that I would wish death upon any of my fish ... but once they have departed for the big tank in the sky, my tank will be a much more friendly place. Of course they will probably live for 100 years).