Impulse buy - I shoulda known better

Carrie

I just started researching my evenings impulse buy, (yes, I know better) and I am having an 'Oh, Crap' moment. My pretty fish is difficult at best. So I am turning to my fellow reefers and hoping someone has advice for me. (Other than to quit impulse buying.) Has anyone kept a black leopard wrasse successfully? If so, what did you do special. Thanks!

I just started researching my evenings impulse buy, (yes, I know better) and I am having an 'Oh, Crap' moment. My pretty fish is difficult at best. So I am turning to my fellow reefers and hoping someone has advice for me. (Other than to quit impulse buying.) Has anyone kept a black leopard wrasse successfully? If so, what did you do special. Thanks!

I had one for a year and half. It did quite well and ate frozen mysis -- getting it to eat is the trick. If it won't eat mysis try mixing mysis with live brine shrimp to get it started. I lost mine when I went bare bottom -- got stressed when it didn't have sand to sleep and hide in. Beautiful fish and if you can get him to eat he should be fine. Enjoy.

First I bought garlic extreme I put the required dosage in mixed with live brine to feed him. Then i started mixing live brine and frozen brine with the Garlic extract. After a while i cut the live brine and just fed frozen brine and garlic extreme. When he started eating frozen brine i threw some mysis in the mix with the frozen brine and garlic extract. Then I slowly removed the brine. The whole process took about a little less than a month, but now my wrase eats everything frozen food, pellets and nori. Just be patient is all i can say it took me about 3-4 months to finally get my dwarf lion to eat frozen. If your not having any luck and it seems to just want to eat brine buy some zoe and soak the brine in that itll insure that your wrase gets all the nutrients it needs as brine has next to no nutritional value. This will help keep your wrase healthy while you ween it off brine. Hope this helps, and good luck. keep us all updated on how he does

also dont worry if you dont see it first thing tomorrow... mine usually comes out around five everyday. its almost like clock work. comes out eats swims for a few hours and heads to the sand around midnight again

This is why I don't want wrasses in my tank.

You always have to worry if they're dead/decomposing under your sand. Not to mention what they kick-up into the water, in terms of detritus, when they bury themselves.

Edited by pbnj

I picked it up today, but she is only out in the morning, so hopefully I can get her eating first thing tomorrow. I will pick up some black worms later in the week if she still isn't eating. I've heard they can't resist them.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would give an update.

The wrasse never took to the black worms. I tried a few days per week with them. My other fish loved them, I however, was not too fond of the whole idea. After three weeks of eating pods and picking at rocks, she took her first frozen food today. In case anyone else is runs into a similar issue, I finally got her to eat a mix of Mysis, cyclopeeze and spirulina completely soaked in garlic extreme. I will warn anyone who has not used the garlic - your entire house will smell like it. It was well worth getting this beautiful girl to eat.

Just another lesson in 'research before you buy.'