Ich!!

Fishtales

So this is my first experience with an ich outbreak. I lost my flame angel last night despite my efforts in setting up a quarantine tank with a copper additive. I did a 25% water change and this morning, the rest of my group.....2 true percula, 1 yellow neon goby, 5 chromis, seem to be doing well. I also raised the tank temperature from 77-78 to 80-81 degrees as I've read that this will shorten the parasites cycle thus, ridding the tank faster of them. I believe this originated from a royal gramma I bought because he seemed to be infected first and was the first to go.

Other then adding garlic to their food, what are some other types of treatment I can do that is also reef safe?

I've re-tested my tank parameters and is as follows:

ammonia, nitrate, nitrite: 0

pH: 8.2-8.4

sg: 24

salinity: 31-32

Temp: 80-81

Any feed back is much appreciated! Oh, the tank size is a 46 gallon bowfront established early December, 2009.

Thanks!

if it comes down to it you can use kick-ick, i used it when i first started and it worked great and never bothered any of my corals (didnt have alot then), but just watch your fish and if its not bad and there not sick and it doesnt get any worse over a couple days just keep everything like you have it and it should go away on its own, and all the fish you have are pretty hardy so you shouldnt have to worry

Feed the fish heavily as you can without causing a spike. If they eat they usually will pull through, sadly if they dont eat by the time you stress them out by catching them and moving them to a new enviroment alot of times they will still parish. Copper works wonders on ich though, just dont put it in a reef tank. Oh and a uv sterilizer will also help quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...