RO/DI Large container question

mFrame

I've finished work on my laundry room to stack my washer/dryer to make room for my ro/di. I currently have a 55g plastic barrel but it's really larger than I want for the space and I'm wanting something different.

I don't have room for two 55g barrels but I would like to be able to store 25-30g of R/O and have a second container for mixing the same quantity of salt water. I have several 5g jugs but want something larger. Rectangular would be even better for stacking.

Anyone have ideas or know where I can get something like this?

Go up on Craigs list and look under rain barrels. Laura in Leander sells both 15g and 30g potable water containers. I plan on swinging by on my road trip up

there on the 19th to get a couple to mix my saltwater in. PM me if you would like her phone number, although it is in her ad.

wayneb

@Dav, I bought a 150g version of that tank and built up a stand that is about 4' tall. I placed the tank on that stand with about 1" to spare in my garage. That is the tank I use to hold my RO/DI water. I used to keep a tank in a far back bedroom, when I did water changes it could force water all the way to the tank. Below that I store my make-up water in a 55g screw top barrel that is full of Kalk and a couple of power heads that come on periodically to stir the Kalk.

@Dav, I bought a 150g version of that tank and built up a stand that is about 4' tall. I placed the tank on that stand with about 1" to spare in my garage. That is the tank I use to hold my RO/DI water. I used to keep a tank in a far back bedroom, when I did water changes it could force water all the way to the tank. Below that I store my make-up water in a 55g screw top barrel that is full of Kalk and a couple of power heads that come on periodically to stir the Kalk.

i bet that makes it Much easier and less of a hassle to do water changes. Im still going to the water jug and filling 5g buckets...:D

So checked into it. The 30g horizontal tanks at Tractor Supply are $99, which is just too stinking high. However, I did find this a few miles fromy my house:

(see craigs list listing for "Food grade barrels and totes for rainwater collection (Austin)"

They sell 15g (14"d x 26"h) for $15/ea or $13 for 5 or more. I plan to get 2 for myself, if there is interest in another 3 we can save each other a few bucks.

Picture227-1.jpg

I also plan to get one 30g (19"d x 29"h) for $20, they sell them for $18 for 5 or more.

30gal.jpg

I'll wait until Wed or so to buy them in case anyone wants to jump in. I don't have a problem holding them a few days if you want to paypal me and arrange pickup for later.

Mike

you might want to look up pastic-mart.com. They have about any and every size shape plastic container you can think of they also will custom build a mold to make a tank to fit in an odd place. Might not be cheep for a custom one but hey what is in this hobbie lol.

They are located in burnet texas about 3 miles from my house. they got from 1/2 gal up to 20ish thousand gal tanks.

you might want to look up pastic-mart.com. They have about any and every size shape plastic container you can think of they also will custom build a mold to make a tank to fit in an odd place. Might not be cheep for a custom one but hey what is in this hobbie lol.

They are located in burnet texas about 3 miles from my house. they got from 1/2 gal up to 20ish thousand gal tanks.

I bought a 1500 gallon tank from them for my water well last fall. They where easy to deal with, and I thought very reasonable price wise.

Oh, and just as an FYI, if the tanks you get are for rainwater collection there is no sales tax in Texas.

-Dan

I actually had looked at them but shipping kills the price. I didn't realize they were in Burnet though. I realize it's a much different product, but for the cost I think I'm going to stick with the blue barrels.

• 1 month later...

I picked up 4 15g barrels from the Coke bottling plant a while back. I only need 3 for my storage setup. If you want the barrel let me know. I do not have the bung for it as the plant did not provide it when I purchased, but a 2" PVC threaded adapter and plug will close it up nice and tight.

I would be willing to let it go for a frag or 2.

Edited by JeffT