Powerhead Placement

Derek

I never know where to put my powerheads. I have tried all kinds of different locations but can never seem to get it right, either it the sand is getting moved around or there is super bubble action happening at the top surface of the tank.

Is there any good place to mount powerheads so that a tank does not turn into a hurricane?

I knew someone was gonna ask for pictures. Please excuse the algae on the glass, Friday is scrape day:

I'll start from left to right:

This is the left side of my tank. There is Pom Pom Xenia, Frog Spawn (Various colonies), Alveopora, Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, Green Bubble Tip Anemone, Rhodactis Mushrooms, Candy Cane Coral, Hairy Mushrooms, Yellow Polyps, Green Finger Leather.

gallery_1242_192_90502.jpg

Here is the front view. Various zoanthids, Frog Spawn (Various), Torch, Green Finger Leather, Duncans, Toadstools

gallery_1242_192_114857.jpg

Here is the right side. Kenya Trees, Green Rhodactis Mushrooms, Brown Bubble Tip Anemone, Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoanthids.

gallery_1242_192_155653.jpg

I'm not gonna lie to you....its going to take alot of tweaking adjusting the flow on those koralias to get the right flow. It would help if they were controlled by wavemaker...that would be the easy way. Have you tried getting to collide the currents? Maybe you need to bring koralias closer to the corners, so you'll be able to aim them @ different angles and at the same time adjust your returns.

It looks like you got four water channels (2 from Koralias, 2 from Y-return pump) and all of them are from the back wall. You may try placing one of the Koralia on the side to go across the tank. This would collide with the other and create a current effect like cmanning suggested.

Sweet tank!

Agree with the above recs. Getting a collision will help I think.

I'd place the Tunze's on the side, yes its an eyesore, one lower than the other and aim them towards each other.

Also, having them on the controller would help too. I get the money equation though.

Sweet tank!

I'd place the Tunze's on the side, yes its an eyesore, one lower than the other and aim them towards each other.

Also, having them on the controller would help too. I get the money equation though.

Thanks. :-)

How far down should one of them be?

I was thinking of putting them in the top middle of each pane of glass.

Sweet tank!

I think one of the main issues I have is the angle. I never know how up to too up. I usually have them angled at about 15 to 30º.

I've settled on one on the back-left-side about 1/5 of the way from the top pointing slightly up and blasting from left-to-right at the other powerhead which is mounted on the back-right-back near the top and blasting toward the front. It creates has the effect of causing things to spin round clockwise with updrafts in the center.

I mainly settled because I got tired trying to figure out what the best was--Lateral Lines.

For reference, two K1's in a 20(l)x16(w)x20(d). It's a Solana. What about other other Solana users, how do you do yours?

What did you come up with?

I put them both on the side panels of glass, about 5 inches from the surface of the water. They are aimed at the same angle. Each of the streams hit the top of the water about a quarter of the way in. It is making all kinds of nice random currents. The sand does drift a bit, but no sand storms.