Fragging corals

Carrie

How do you frag palys? Do you just cut them off of their rock? Or is there some super special way to remove them. I have a rock that contains 75-100 yellow and green guys, and I wanna try to frag them in order to get the hang of it.

Moderators - This could be a meeting topic. I can't be the only one terrified of cutting up my babies! Bring the coral you want to frag and have experts there to make sure you don't kill everything! Of course, I'm not sure I trust Mark with a scalpel, and Laura is downright violent....

I'm not sure I trust Mark with a scalpel, and Laura is downright violent....

:) Carrie,

That is so funny. If your zoas are encrusting the rock...just take a razor blade and go under the flesh by scraping as closely as possible against the rock...so the matted zoas don't get damage. Do wear gloves and rinse any utensil thoroughly. I would use paper plates and napkins so you can dispose of the crap (they'll get a little slimy). This is where your good eyesight comes in play and always were some type of goggles for protection.

The other option is to place a piece of rubble or plug (touching the rock w/zoas) and let them be. This method tends to take longer and safer; and you don't have to deal with tools or their paly/zoa toxin.

-Cindy-

• Like 1

How do you frag palys? Do you just cut them off of their rock? Or is there some super special way to remove them. I have a rock that contains 75-100 yellow and green guys, and I wanna try to frag them in order to get the hang of it.

Moderators - This could be a meeting topic. I can't be the only one terrified of cutting up my babies! Bring the coral you want to frag and have experts there to make sure you don't kill everything! Of course, I'm not sure I trust Mark with a scalpel, and Laura is downright violent....

I think you can just pop the heads off and super glue them to a rock. Zoas and palys are pretty toxic, so wear goggles and wash your hands really well afterwards. I found the following YouTube video that might be helpful:

I didn't watch the video but to my mind a little more emphasis should be made on the palytoxins. If you have any obvious cuts in the skin, you probably shouldn't be messin' with fragging right now. You should also be careful of, say touching a glass, dish or food with your 'contaminated' hands/gloves and then putting those to your mouth. Literally, you should keep your mouth shut when cutting into the polyps. Just be careful. The palytoxins are potentially bad news. Apparently some people are more sensative than others, but it is my understanding if you get enough of it into your bloodstream, death is a possibility. If you just limit your skin exposure, be careful and wipe off the 'slime' regularly you should have no problems. It's just a better safe than sorry thing. my 2 cents

Bill

I didn't watch the video but to my mind a little more emphasis should be made on the palytoxins. If you have any obvious cuts in the skin, you probably shouldn't be messin' with fragging right now. You should also be careful of, say touching a glass, dish or food with your 'contaminated' hands/gloves and then putting those to your mouth. Literally, you should keep your mouth shut when cutting into the polyps. Just be careful. The palytoxins are potentially bad news. Apparently some people are more sensative than others, but it is my understanding if you get enough of it into your bloodstream, death is a possibility. If you just limit your skin exposure, be careful and wipe off the 'slime' regularly you should have no problems. It's just a better safe than sorry thing. my 2 cents

Bill

Definitely wear goggles. Zoas and Palys can shoot the toxin out if you irritate them enough.