Shimmer with T5s?

Daniel

I saw Roy's tank the other day and I was reminded of the reason I love metal halides. The shimmer effect is mesmerizing.

Shimmer is the result of an intense point source of light. When the light strikes the rough surface of the water, it disperses into the water at different wavelengths, creating what appears to be "ripples" throughout the tank. Since T5s are broad (and not a point source at small distances or in relatively shallow tanks), the shimmer effect does not occur to any significant extent.

For those of you with T5s, and assuming you care about the shimmer effect, what do you propose as a solution to achieving the shimmer? Switching back to halides is not an option. I need something to supplement my T5s. I've heard of people using LEDs and halogens with mixed results, but nothing definitive.

If LEDs will work, is there a commercial product I can use? My moonlights create a lovely shimmer at night, but their effect is muted when my T5s are on. If there isn't a commercially available solution, what LED bulbs would work best? What brand, color temp., quantity, etc?

Daniel