20g Grow Out Tank- Lewis Weil

lewisweil

• 20 gallon Innovative Marine
  • Kessil a160 
  • no skimmer
  • single Tunze 008 return pump
  • dosing with Triton four part
  • dose with Acro Power every other day
  • target feed with Reef Roids about twice a week. 

I haven't had a coral tank in a few years so this is my system for getting my sea legs back. I started it back in February and I will make some posts catching the thread up to where the system is now. The tank is corals only. I am growing them out to donate or sell and keep a few as pets for a project later. I got my first ARC corals at the frag sale back in March. I've been picking up a few from the $5 tank at Aqua Dome and the occasional frag from Aquatek and Austin Aqua Farms. Right now my bird of paradise Seriatopora and my Acan are my coral babies. 

The tank has no skimmer. There is a filter floss, carbon or poly filter occastionally. Otherwise filtration is down through small weekly water changes and by the ball of Chaetomorpha in the corner. 

More soon, very glad to be back on ARC! The frag sale in March was excellent, so glad to see the local hobby doing well. 

fullsizeoutput_1ea1.jpeg

IMG_6231.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

IMG_6289.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I set the tank up in a way I wouldn't recommend to most people. But I am both lazy and like to think I am better at this than I actually am. The tank was used, so I was letting it run with freshwater to clean it out. While that was happening I was on the road and when I go out of town I like to visit LFS and buy something if I can. Well I bought some Chaeto while in Corpus Christi... except I didn't actually have a saltwater tank yet. So I did a dumb thing and just added salt to the freshwater when I got home. Let it circulate for a couple days and added the Chaeto ball. Not a best practice, don't follow my example. Worst case I lose the Chaeto and start over. I ran the system with activated carbon and polyfilter to get some elements out of the tap water. Spoiler alert, it all worked out fine and I have happy corals. Following my experience in freshwater planted tanks I decided to wait until the Chaeto was showing signs of active growth before adding any other livestock. Which was a couple snails. Next time I'll post the saga of my snails and the first corals. 

I think this tank build is going to be about showing how much dumb stuff you can get away with and still have a successful tank. 

fullsizeoutput_144c.jpeg

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

• Like 1
  • Confused 1