TDS

Christyef

That's the problem with having a TDS reading higher than zero in your water - you don't know exactly what it is comprised of.  Without a lab test it just means that your water contains unknown inorganic and/or organic matter that made it past the filter.

• Like 1

I finally got my Hanna reactants and tested yesterday. (I’ve been relying on api), and my PO4 was 1.26!!!! I had to look a few times to make sure it wasnt the timer still counting down [emoji23]. The no3 was 10! I do bi-weekly water changes, have an ATS, and have a MASSIVE external deltec skimmer so I was shocked it could be that high. I expected high, but not that much. So, I checked my tds and it was reading 12!! [emoji37]. So, I wasn’t sure if the tds was causing the super high readings bc it was so high, or if I need to up my nutrient exportation. Nothing is brown and everything is super happy and growing good.
I did change all the filters and DI. Also added a second DI chamber and now have zero TDS. I also added some phosphate rx to bring it down some. I don’t wanna do anything too drastic bc all my corals are doing good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Christyef said:

I finally got my Hanna reactants and tested yesterday. (I’ve been relying on api), and my PO4 was 1.26!!!! I had to look a few times to make sure it wasnt the timer still counting down emoji23.png. The no3 was 10! I do bi-weekly water changes, have an ATS, and have a MASSIVE external deltec skimmer so I was shocked it could be that high. I expected high, but not that much. So, I checked my tds and it was reading 12!! emoji37.png. So, I wasn’t sure if the tds was causing the super high readings bc it was so high, or if I need to up my nutrient exportation. Nothing is brown and everything is super happy and growing good.
I did change all the filters and DI. Also added a second DI chamber and now have zero TDS. I also added some phosphate rx to bring it down some. I don’t wanna do anything too drastic bc all my corals are doing good

Have you checked your new salt water for phosphates? I wouldn't worry too much if everything's looking the way you want. I mean, bring the phosphates down with gfo or something, but don't stress too much. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Victoly would definitely be the one to ask about this, but maybe adding another carbon stage instead of another DI would be good.

• Like 2

I haven’t. I recently switched to reef crystals. I’ll check it next time I make some water . I also run gfo/carbon in the tank. I need new sponges for those. The flow isn’t too great.

• Like 1

If things are doing well, don’t change them too much !

A source of your nitrates might by your RODI water. If you’re on city of Austin water, chloramine is used as a disinfectant. Depending on how effective your carbon/RO membrane/DI setup is, you could be passing through some ammonia (chloramine breakdown produce), which would then be converted to nitrate. Test your RO water every once in a blue moon and see if anything is coming into your tank from that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I wouldn't chase phosphates if you don't have algae problems. 
Check out some of the videos / presentations from Richard Ross. 

I’m definitely not shooting for zero. The only thing in my tank that’s not thriving are my leathers. I’m hoping lowing the nutrients some will fix this

Did you check the TDS of the ATO top-off or the display tank? If the reservoir gets any salt in it, then you'll get a TDS reading that doesn't accurately indicate nutrients. I would also warm against chasing phosphate. The PO4 test is largely unreliable and will not reflect the actual situation in the tank. Also, ULN is basically the keto diet of the aquarium world; aesthetics with the risk of death to keep things interesting.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I don’t want ULN.... too lazy for that kind of reefing. Lol. My tds meter is inline on my RODI. I don’t have a hand held one. Tds going in was 348. Out 12. Now zero after changing all my filters

I also transfer a pump from the RO to the salt for water changes. My external one stopped working. If I had to guess, I’d say it seized up bc it wasn’t constantly on.... but I don’t test the containers.

5 hours ago, victoly said:

If things are doing well, don’t change them too much !

A source of your nitrates might by your RODI water. If you’re on city of Austin water, chloramine is used as a disinfectant. Depending on how effective your carbon/RO membrane/DI setup is, you could be passing through some ammonia (chloramine breakdown produce), which would then be converted to nitrate. Test your RO water every once in a blue moon and see if anything is coming into your tank from that route.

They use 50% concentrated Sodium Bisulfite (aka Dechlor) after the treating process. only reason i know is my trucks deliver 75% of the the bulk chems,  to the Travis county and Austin water treatment plants. Id be more worried about the sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) they take 32% and Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) at  in full strength 14.5%,  Just an example regular laundry bleach is at most a 5%, and they take roughly 5,000 gals of each every couple days almost every day in the summer months. 

I don’t doubt that’s true, but we are definitely putting 1-2ppm of chloramine, measured, at a minimum into the distribution service that makes it all the way to the tap.

I wouldn't worry about PO4 or TDS and I seriously doubt either is the issue with your corals.   Here in Austin calcium is most of what makes up TDS.  Here's a system that gets water changes with tapwater just treated with dechlorinater:

• Like 2

From Subsea (Patrick)

All of my system are saturated with silicates. I use ground water and add with no treatment to tanks to make up for evaporation. The TDS of my ground water is 950 ppm. Very close to lime water/kalk. As it turns out, the Upper Trinity Aquifer at 1000’ deep was the bottom of a shallow inland sea which was dominated with diatoms & sponges. So, all of my systems are saturated with silicates. I have an abundance of sponges & coralline algae.

• Like 1

I think like people have mentioned, specific goals are important. Everyone has a different idea of what they want their tanks to be and become. That should drive much of the decision making

19 hours ago, Christyef said:

I also transfer a pump from the RO to the salt for water changes. My external one stopped working. If I had to guess, I’d say it seized up bc it wasn’t constantly on.... but I don’t test the containers.

Transferring the pump from salt to fresh RO will show some TDS over time, that's happened to me before. There's also something referred to as "TDS creep" where refilling the RO resevoir over long periods without cleaning can result in a TDS reading.