Got an extra $3 million laying around?

Jimbo662

Haha, I like that the Persian Gulf is warmer and saltier than corals are used to. I wonder how successful this will be in the long run. Seems to be a lot of silt in the water too from the video... I guess all the sands constantly blowing into the Gulf causes that. I imagine without constant care they would eventually die out in these areas that don't naturally have corals growing. Also, I wonder if they'll just have servants clean the windows to keep them clean, or just have giant mag floats :lol:

That's not silt...the guy mentioned it's nutrients! My first thought was silt also.  HA I can see the maid with a mag float the size of a book cleaning those windows! also crazy was the idea of electrifying the frames to help the corals grow faster.

Haha did you see the Mono Sebae at 53:43? What's the little guy doing out there! I agree with you, the maintenance will be horrible. I guess if you can afford it, then you can afford the maintenance crews cleaning glass, scraping barnacles, etc. 

4 hours ago, Jimbo662 said:

That's not silt...the guy mentioned it's nutrients! My first thought was silt also.  HA I can see the maid with a mag float the size of a book cleaning those windows! also crazy was the idea of electrifying the frames to help the corals grow faster.

Haha you see at 25:50 you see them waving off a cloud of silt from a coral and a few seconds later they show piles of sand right off the shore. Pretty sure that's not just "nutrients", but whatever is blowing off those sand piles when it's windy. I imagine they'll be cleaning off a lot of the corals daily until construction in that area dies down and less sand and silt is introduced regularly. 

I'm also curious how they intend to grow coral when the wind they want to put the coral in front of is directly under the deck. There's the suspended hammock hole for light to come through, but it has to be perfectly situated to allow sun to penetrate through the hole, and it will only get directly light for a few hours each day. I just don't see corals growing there successfully long term. Maybe they'll eventually put some underwater LED strips under the deck to light the corals :lol:

I skipped around the video so I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything about supplemental lighting to help the corals look better.  The colonies they were growing on the aqua farm didn't look all that impressive.  "Artist's impression" on the concept art compared to reality is like looking at a picture of World Wide Coral's display tank and then taking a glance at mine.  :D

Pretty expensive house boat, or maybe house barge is a better word.  ☺

There's plenty of corals endemic to the Persian Gulf so I don't see why they made an issue of salinity and temp unless they chose to source corals from the Indo-pacific.  And Bali Aquarium is mariculturing corals as deep as 70' so they should find something that will like those locations. 

Even with selecting corals that will like the conditions they're creating with just sunlight everything is going to look brownish with subdued colors.

Hate to drop the algae magnet needed for something that thick.

Archived