Bio Balls and Quarantine Tanks

BobcatReefer

Ready to get the QT fired up again and add a couple of fish to the DT.  I *think* would like to use some Bio Balls to help w/ the cycling and whatnot. 

How many would I need for a 20g QT?  

Any issues using w/ Prazipro and Paraguard?

Anyone have a ball or two they'd like to sell me so I don't have to buy a dozen?

I've used the MarinePure 1 1/2" balls in both my QTs for over a year.  Multiple rounds of prazi, copper, metro, kanaplex, you name it, and never changed them out.  I run about 6-10 per 20 gallon tank, can't remember exact number off the top of my head.

isnt the point of QT to have minimal stuff in there, and once QT is done for that period, to completely sanitize it and start fresh?  how is having bioballs helping?  those things are next to impossible to sanitize.  Im actually asking because im about to setup a QT too :) 

I guess it depends on what you are QTing for.  Mainly I'm worried about Ich, Velvet, and flukes.   I like to kep a good biological filter going and don't want to deal with having to cycle between batches of fish.  I typically go 30 days or more fallow between batches of fish.

1 hour ago, BobcatReefer said:

Ready to get the QT fired up again and add a couple of fish to the DT.  I *think* would like to use some Bio Balls to help w/ the cycling and whatnot. 

How many would I need for a 20g QT?  

Any issues using w/ Prazipro and Paraguard?

Anyone have a ball or two they'd like to sell me so I don't have to buy a dozen?

You can skip the Paraguard. I went through several bottles without any success. 

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

isnt the point of QT to have minimal stuff in there, and once QT is done for that period, to completely sanitize it and start fresh?  how is having bioballs helping?  those things are next to impossible to sanitize.  Im actually asking because im about to setup a QT too :) 

My thought is that they are for keeping the cycling process from being drastic so the fish aren't swimming in ammonia.  Granted, I am doing QT for new fish, not a hospital QT, so I'll be using some of my own DT water to start it up.

Please take my advice. Skip the Paraguard.  Keep copperafe, prazi, metroplex, kanaplex and Furan 2 on hand.  Get a bottle of dr tims ammonia to cycle qt while your doing TTM.

do tank transfer with 2 prazi riders.  I use sterilite containers.  Then go into a fully cycled qt with a few rocks and marine pure.  Observe for a month.  Everything must dry for 2 solid days before you use it for TTM again,

Archived