Captive-Bred Mandarin Dragonets

Sascha D.

I stumbled across a listing for captive-bread Blue Mandarin Dragonets on Liveaquaria. I'm not sure how long they have been offering them, but it's something that I thought a lot of people may be interested in. I've never heard of Blue Mandarins, but they appear to be the same or similar enough to Green Mandarins and Red Mandarins. The listing says that these fish have been fed prepared foods, but they also cost 3x more than wild caught specimens. 

Blue Mandarin, Captive-Bred, Biota

The Biota Captive-Bred Blue Mandarins are spawned and reared at Biota Marine Life Nursery in Palau. Blue Mandarin are also known as the Mandarin Dragonette or Mandarin Goby is a mazelike combination of blue, orange, and green. Males may be distinguished from females by their more-elongated first dorsal spine. It is extremely popular with aquarists because of its unusual beauty.

It should be kept in a well-established 30 gallon or larger aquarium with live rock, live sand, and plenty of hiding places. It is moderately hardy in reef aquariums if given exceptional care. It is not overly aggressive towards other fish, except for conspecifics.

The Captive-Bred Blue Mandarin has a unique advantage over wild-harvested species. They are hardier and more accustomed to conditions found in home aquariums. Therefore, it makes a great choice for novices and seasoned aquarists alike.

Biota has raised these Blue Mandarins on Frozen Cyclops, along with a 360-520 micron dry food mix and supplementing with live foods.

I first saw ORA captive bred mandarins about 5 years ago, I think Aquadome carried them for a while.  Industry-wide they struggled because buyers couldn't understand paying 3-4x the price of wild caught.  Anyone who has attempted to train wild caught mandarins to not be picky eaters realizes that even at a 4x multiplier the captive bred fish are a steal.  Thanks for sharing, this is great news!

And if you're in the market for a mandarin then definitely go for the captive bred ones over the wild caught!

• mFrame changed the title to Captive-Bred Mandarin Dragonets

The ORA website currently has them all marked unavailable and I was unable to find any listed for sale on the various critter websites. I remember there were some local Central Texas guys selling Target Mandarins for a while, but I haven't seen them active recently. 

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear.  I heard that ORA basically stopped them because there was apparently no market, people keep buying the cheaper wild caught ones and taking their chances.  Seems a shame.  I'm glad that LiveAquaria is selling them.

That's pretty cool! If we were not planning on a vacation I would go for it. Totally going to check them out when we get back if available still. 

I have heard with other mandarins even if trained to eat frozen food you still have to keep up your pod population. Wonder of that is still the case here 

14 hours ago, ckyuv said:

That's pretty cool! If we were not planning on a vacation I would go for it. Totally going to check them out when we get back if available still. 

I have heard with other mandarins even if trained to eat frozen food you still have to keep up your pod population. Wonder of that is still the case here 

Like many wrasses, Mandarin Dragonets have a natural instinct to forage. Their brain doesn't know they're getting more nutrition than they would otherwise get on a natural diet and they'll keep hunting even when full. Hopefully you wouldn't have to buy pods because the fish is getting most of it's nutrition from the prepared foods, but I wouldn't expect any pods to be spared either. ^_^

After reading tons on all the forums about mandarins , jawfish and pipefish, they will eat a lot of prepared non live foods. The biggest issue people have is the fish are shy and the other fish eat the food before they get their turn. I have seem a few feeders people have constructed that allows for only smaller fish to enter and eat.  I will try one of these captive bred ones down the road if my tank will work for them.   My $.02

I've had my female mandarin going on about 3 years.  She was wild caught but I was lucky enough to have her start eating mysis.  She still is constantly on the hunt for pods, I never see her sit still.  I'm running a well-established 230g, but between her and my leopard wrasse the pod population has been unable to sustain either of the two wild-caught males that I've tried to add in the past few years.  Unless/until I can find a male that will eat non-live food, it isn't worth watching them starve.

One technique that seems to be successful is feeding the fish lobster eggs or Rod's Eggs in a jar. It looks like a Planter's Peanuts jar to me, but any glass jar heavy enough to stay on the sand should work. 

Bought my little guy over 6 years ago from somebody shutting-down their tank.

No special food/feeding. He just snacks on pods on the liverock and back glass all day long.

Quite a chunky little guy too.

FB_IMG_1518223327476.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived