Elevated Remote Water Storage for ATO

codyja

Hi All, 

I had a situation I wanted to run past the group. I have a closet in the next room from my 160G tank. I mounted a 35G tank in the top of the closet to hold fresh RODI. On the output I added a T and have one side going out to 3/4" tubing with a valve to fill jugs. I then was planning to run the other output down the wall, along the floor, drill a small hole along the baseboard and pop the 1/4" RO tubing through the wall and drop into the sump. My question is how do I deal with the water level, ATO, and anti siphon? I'd prefer not to run power line from the sump to the water storage tank if possible.

The RODI tank is about 8 feet in the air, and it's about a 15-20' run over to my sump. I know gravity will carry the water, but I need to figure out a way to hook this up through an ATO and prevent it from draining the full 35G out. Any ideas (on the cheaper side if possible)? Thanks!

I would use a pump controlled by a float switch.  On the output of the pump you'll need to have a small anti-siphon hole above the water line in the ATO tank so when the pump shuts off a siphon can't get started because air is pulled into the line.  Setting it up like this you will get water out of the anti-siphon hole which needs to be directed down into the ATO tank.

You can also just put a float valve in your sump but I would not trust it, sooner or later "stuff" will get into it and cause problems.

I have used a float valve in my sump with a gravity ATO for 2 years now with no issues. Part of daily maintenance is inspecting critical pieces like that to ensure proper functioning. A good float costs about 20$.

I have yet to figure out how using plugged in machines with optical eyes and such is more trustworthy than a basic float valve for an ATO?

That's a good question.  I can say I've had the optical type and the magnetic float type switches work for years but float valves sooner or later either get stuck open or clog closed.  One difference is using a pump with an optical or magnetic float type switch there's not a restriction, at least with the setups I've used, in the plumping like there is with a float valve where, with all the float valves I've used, there is small hole that can get clogged or a small piece of detritus can get in the way and not let it close all the way.   A pump will also do a petter job af flushing out "gunk" that might form in the plumbing.

Make sure that your sump has excess space to hold the full volume of the RODI topoff container and you won't have to worry about overflowing. Then it just becomes a matter of dilution, so if you use a proportionately small topoff/main tank ratio you won't ever be able to dilute more than that %.

Archived