Designing the Fish Room - HELP!

Wade

8 minutes ago, Wade said:

So back to the floor drain.  I spoke with the builder last night and he said we'd be getting into a lot of expense to add a concave cement floor with a drain vs just adding a drain to the flat floor and using a squeegee if needed.  Thoughts on that?  

if you cant sink the floor, just ask him to add a 2-3" "curb" around the room (except the door)

re: chilling.  a water chiller can power both a tank chiller and a room chiller.  thats what im doing now.  i have one run that does to a coil in the tank, another run cooling the garage, and a third one cooling my server closet. industrial water chillers are awesome and efficient.  PM me if you want more details, i dont wanna advertise here :) 

This is where I plan to hold our club meetings and start a club coral library.  I'd like to have a library of frags that everyone can both contribute to or take from according to some simple guidelines.  

@Isaac : Island on wheels!  Fantastic idea!!  

@Dogfish : Should definitely be room for a fridge :) 

It looks really nice.  Are you sure you won't get tired of walking so far around to get to the room?  I am wondering if, since the room is so much bigger now, you might appreciate having the entry to the fishroom be in that hallway so it's a quick step from the front of the aquarium to the back

Wow.  That's actually a great point.  I do have plenty of room to work with now (more than enough to be honest).  The only problem is where to put it.  I could put it in that short hallway on the left but then it would open very close to the tank and would make it virtually impossible to have anything plumbed into the tank from that side.  Also, in case of the worst case scenario and there's a leak or a seam break, that would leave a quick exit for the water.  I'll have to give that some thought.

So here's the next dilemma: how to finish the outside (Den facing) wall?  I would love to have removable panels all around the tank to allow full access from the front, but I'm already getting some flack from the wifey for just mentioning that.  It would need to have a nice finished look, but be removable.  I know someone out there has done that.  I just need some pictures or links.  

This is where I plan to hold our club meetings and start a club coral library.  I'd like to have a library of frags that everyone can both contribute to or take from according to some simple guidelines.  
[mention=1733]Isaac[/mention] : Island on wheels!  Fantastic idea!!  
[mention=4048]Dogfish[/mention] : Should definitely be room for a fridge [emoji4] 

There isn’t a “love” button, so... [emoji7][emoji7][emoji175][emoji175][emoji175]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 9/20/2017 at 8:05 AM, Wade said:

Wow.  That's actually a great point.  I do have plenty of room to work with now (more than enough to be honest).  The only problem is where to put it.  I could put it in that short hallway on the left but then it would open very close to the tank and would make it virtually impossible to have anything plumbed into the tank from that side.  Also, in case of the worst case scenario and there's a leak or a seam break, that would leave a quick exit for the water.  I'll have to give that some thought.

Move the fuge to the left, and have it and the frag tanks run along that wall.  It keeps all your tanks on that side, which should allow you to put a door just to the right of the tank.  If you go with the curb idea that Isaac mentioned, and have the door open out, then you would have a "flood lip" that would prevent water from coming out into the room.

Having the door there would allow you to have partial access to the front as you say you want.  Over the tank you can do cabinet doors that open up and give you access to the front top.  You were already planning to do some kind of framing or surround, so that should mask more nicely.

That would just leave the left side and bottom, both of which you should be able to get to from inside.

+1 on having meetings there!  I can see taking construction tours.

• 1 month later...

Archived