2 things to guess...

Good Greef

So I got 2 things for yall to guess at:

post-4004-0-98432300-1481924978_thumb.jp

1st one is sold as "Dragon's Breath" seaweed/macroalgae. Hunter and I were discussing it and he isn't sure if it technically is that. For football guys the color is Virginia Tech Maroon with Firey tips color scheme.

post-4004-0-76272400-1481924979_thumb.jp

2nd one I'm sure is some type of filer feeding tubeworm, it has grown 10x its size and dispels a little slimey web that can annoy my corrals on occasion.

Thanks - I did a few google searches but was wondering if yall knew specifics.]

What texture is that algae? Dragon's breath has basically no structure, it's like ulva, will not keep upright shape out of water. There are a number of varieties of it so some look slightly different than others. If it has structure, sort of rubbery / thick, holds some form out of water, it's probably some type of gracilaria, hayi is the most common red one, but gracilaria is a large family of algaes so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some similar ones.

Yep - It does have some minor structure to it, outside of water it kind of sits like a thicker clump of chaeto in your hand. The bushels are all connected to each other, but not by any thick trunk or anything.

I did see the more common Red Gracilaria at Aquadome as well. I'm sure you're right that its some sort of hybrid, but the flame orange tips really are vibrant so I figured why not for less than 10 bucks.

The first looks like dragon's breath to me. The second is a vermetid snail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had tons of tiny vermetid snails on a piece of live rock at one point, no thicker than a mechanical pencil lead. This does look like a larger version of that, just wish i could kill or smother the 2 huge ones I have.

The first looks like dragon's breath to me. The second is a vermetid snail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had tons of tiny vermetid snails on a piece of live rock at one point, no thicker than a mechanical pencil lead. This does look like a larger version of that, just wish i could kill or smother the 2 huge ones I have.

Super glue over their openings works well.

I have some Dragon's Breath in my sump and that definitely looks like it to me. The orange tips give it away.

Some macroalgae has orange coloration, but most indicate death in the cell tissue. A lot of people mistake the light coloration is new growth like in SPS corals. Dragon's Breath should have universal orange on all of the tips and not just one side.

IMG_5620.jpg

Archived