SPS are too sensitive!

Ty, I've tested it once about a year ago. Results were puzzling. Alk was below 6, calcium above 500, salinity on point at 1.026, po4 was sky high, like 0.4 ppm, no3 was moderate between 1-2 ppm. Mg in range at 1400. He keeps a basketball sized birdsnest growing in a 30 gallon tank in his garage (yes in the hot Texas garage with no fan or chiller), under a Chinese black box led that he hacks up and sells 20 or so frags a month to various lfs to afford new Acros, usually from Asd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm convinced there are some parameters that lead to very healthy SPS tanks that we are overlooking or can't test for easily. I've had tanks in the past that grew SPS like CRAZY and everything was bulletproof and happy. Years ago I didn't know the importance of alk and would, randomly and at whim, toss in cups of two part solution or go days without dosing at all. I'm sure the alk "stability" of that tank was laughable at best, but it was the last time I can remember having solid growth and eye-popping colors. I have no clue if it was the biodiversity of the microbes in that tank, the mineral composition of the live rock, or the levels of some trace element we usually don't test for. Sometimes it's just hard to describe why some tanks have awesome success while others don't...

His tank has made me want to try miracle mud. Lots of nay sayers citing that it is junk on paper and shouldn't do anything but the two people I know who use it have tanks that make me envious

It looks like he has a nice growth of cyano too hmm.png. You can tell from the coloration of some of the corals that there is a PO4 problem. Using too much 3000k - 6500k light on the tank can also give you a brown or washed out coloration to the corals. It looks like he has good growth though! How long has the tank been up?

I tried GARF Grunge and Miracle Mud back in 2001. I didn't like it and I thought that it made a big mess. It's impossible to stir or siphon and nitrates and detrius collect there like crazy. It's also pretty gross to look at. However, I did notice a lot of good things about it. The prod production was amazing! It also introduced a huge number of mini brittle stars into the tank.

His tank has made me want to try miracle mud. Lots of nay sayers citing that it is junk on paper and shouldn't do anything but the two people I know who use it have tanks that make me envious

I was using about 10# of it in the refugium of my previous 50 gallon which seemed to be more stable than my 90, but there's so much going on, it would be impossible to attribute it directly towards the mud. I might give it a shot and see if I can see any benefit in my current tank.

• 6 months later...

We'll see.

I picked up some pretty sticks the other day to try my hand at turning them ghost white as I usually do.

I will however not be checking any parameters other than temp and salinity.

MUAHAHAHAHA

attachicon.gifDeadsoon1.jpg

attachicon.gifDeadsoon2.jpg

HAHA images "dead soon 1 & 2" . How are they doin?

Archived