BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

Pulled the tunzes. Roger said if I sent it to him and he could verify the clontroller has no water damage, he would send out a new motor for $90. Haven’t replied yet. I got two Jebaos in the mail today. Nice to have heavy flow again. PE improved tenfold almost instantly. I may order a few more of these and possibly go even bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Goodbye anemones. Hate to do that to my clown, but my tank simply isn’t big enough for split happy bubbletips. They already killed one acro colony. Totally engulfed it. Had to chisel them off the rocks and give them away. In the future I’ll consider a sand dwelling nem. Maybe if I can find a pretty Malu nem or something. No more bubbletips for me

4 hours ago, Bpb said:

Goodbye anemones. Hate to do that to my clown, but my tank simply isn’t big enough for split happy bubbletips. They already killed one acro colony. Totally engulfed it. Had to chisel them off the rocks and give them away. In the future I’ll consider a sand dwelling nem. Maybe if I can find a pretty Malu nem or something. No more bubbletips for me

That’s def a risk for nems sucks because they add so much to the tank IMO. The tank is looking great btw your colors and growth are awesome man, very impressed with the pics!! Excited to see what you have in store when you get the new bigger tank up and running.

• Like 1

That’s def a risk for nems sucks because they add so much to the tank IMO. The tank is looking great btw your colors and growth are awesome man, very impressed with the pics!! Excited to see what you have in store when you get the new bigger tank up and running.

Thanks man! Yeah I felt a sharp twinge of guilt. Mainly because they feel like a slightly higher order organism than a coral. And my clown is super bummed. But I cannot have them splitting more and claiming so much space. A nem tank has never been a goal of mine and the two of them were already cleaning a good 20% of my usable rock space

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Not fair, you need to label those !!!!!

Where are my manners!!!

Left to right.

Greg C Acroberry
Old Blue Prostrata ^
Orange Furry *
Sky Doppel
Paletta Pink Tip
Raging Bull *

* not yet featured on his sponsor thread or on the website catalogue.

^ can be found on the featured thread on his r2r sponsor page, but not on the website catalogue

Interested to see what it turns into. I have no idea what to expect! I feel like the light and flow is actually best on my frag rack so it’s hard to be in a hurry to get them on the rocks.

Getting prettier and prettier. Definitely my favorite piece in the tank. Moved it off the rack and onto the rocks in a higher light higher flow spot. Nestled directly under the 6500k bulb

e4c353bd42a991703268bd3894465fb5.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Better late than never. Got ahold of a couple new ones today. Not quite pretty yet. Still adjusting. Let’s log some day one pics for documenting purposes

Walt Disney
fae64751ccc0f696e563ac90bc53df10.jpg

$500 efflo
2789fc52f4e8d2f2ae639bc19611ebb6.jpg

Sunset Millie
50e4d514b7442decbf402c88b9a86d4d.jpg

WWC Nuclear Fission
830bf03522b2d9c91ea794b0c81017df.jpg

WWC Aqua Delight
0b6b209590d4a344c1767e2f4d98cf3c.jpg

PSX Crayola Plana
63b213069998e9baf270f537dc576819.jpg

AAF “plum”
0764b1f38e8b61685ee515e3fb758d3a.jpg

TSA Candlelight Stag
d40bd810b5d733dabd2344bb35d92e77.jpg
4420846723fcb87137b049f76cd033ba.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Some pics from today. Nothing new just some growth shots over time. Hard to justify buying new stuff knowing I’ll be breaking down so I just try to enjoy what I have

58d0a50fa34110682d698ec37a67d7cd.jpg
dbcdd2849fc4a5051bae4a781ef14f12.jpg
92dc15158270182bf9532f4a8cf075bd.jpg
c7e7bc2e16a2e4c1a45aec8218c3d43e.jpg
2e282c3359b2ce3096b97686b1641c3c.jpg
65486264be41e9c4f7440a8e21964bc5.jpg
ff79ef667d90c571f0f63701063d4f7f.jpg
bb6d4976eac5b3101c8f6df48f69b4b1.jpg
54f6be6be94da9e1b62e2a8939d0a971.jpg
44c28855ed286d0857479c3e264dcb0f.jpg
00797723bba5c2ded7d68c404b4ca2a6.jpg
f07366c85ef68bf13886c773a146c7e6.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

No more criticism Ty. I took par readings in my tank for the first time ever. It was a Seneye so keep that in mind, but it gets pretty good reviews on it’s accuracy vs the 500 series apogee.

Par was a good bit lower than expected. 8x54 watt ati sunpower mounted 13” over the water I am getting about 400 at the surface over roughly the entire footprint, with a gentle gradient down to about 100-200 on the sandbed depending on how centered I get it. Most my acros are hanging out in the 200-300 range which is much lower than I expected.

Couple things. The 6500k bulb does put out a lot more par than any other bulb. I’m adding more.

The splash shield was very messy with salt creep.

All my blue+ bulbs are about 24 months old, and the rest range from 9-18 months.

I’m going to take it down and clean the splash shield real well. Maybe order new reflectors. And new bulbs. I’ll repeat readings in a month or so

• Like 1

looks really good. 

FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.FTS. FTS.

• Like 1

No more criticism Ty. I took par readings in my tank for the first time ever. It was a Seneye so keep that in mind, but it gets pretty good reviews on it’s accuracy vs the 500 series apogee.

Par was a good bit lower than expected. 8x54 watt ati sunpower mounted 13” over the water I am getting about 400 at the surface over roughly the entire footprint, with a gentle gradient down to about 100-200 on the sandbed depending on how centered I get it. Most my acros are hanging out in the 200-300 range which is much lower than I expected.

Couple things. The 6500k bulb does put out a lot more par than any other bulb. I’m adding more.

The splash shield was very messy with salt creep.

All my blue+ bulbs are about 24 months old, and the rest range from 9-18 months.

I’m going to take it down and clean the splash shield real well. Maybe order new reflectors. And new bulbs. I’ll repeat readings in a month or so

Holy moly! The lighting expert knows his par readings! [emoji50]

Alright, that was the last one. [emoji12]

FTS looks great sir! The tank is getting full fast!
  • Like 1

Holy moly! The lighting expert knows his par readings! [emoji50]

Alright, that was the last one. [emoji12]

FTS looks great sir! The tank is getting full fast!

So the anecdotal comparisons I am seeing are the seneye reads about 10% low compared to the apogee 500 series.

My bulbs being as old as they are should have lost abojt 20% par at this point

My splash guard was covered in salt creep. Let’s call that a 5% reduction.

So my reading is possibly 35% low compared to a clean fixture with new bulbs.

Using that factor I come to 400/0.65 to get 615 par at the surface which seems a little more reasonable for a fixture 13” over the water. Also brings me to 350-400 mid tank which is right around where I want to be.

Looks like I need new bulbs and to clean my splash shield.

Another observation. The 6500k bulb puts out about 10-15% more par than the blue+ bulb.

This could all make sense. Or it could be me trying to rationalize my par higher

• Like 1

So the anecdotal comparisons I am seeing are the seneye reads about 10% low compared to the apogee 500 series.

My bulbs being as old as they are should have lost abojt 20% par at this point

My splash guard was covered in salt creep. Let’s call that a 5% reduction.

So my reading is possibly 35% low compared to a clean fixture with new bulbs.

Using that factor I come to 400/0.65 to get 615 par at the surface which seems a little more reasonable for a fixture 13” over the water. Also brings me to 350-400 mid tank which is right around where I want to be.

Looks like I need new bulbs and to clean my splash shield.

Another observation. The 6500k bulb puts out about 10-15% more par than the blue+ bulb.

This could all make sense. Or it could be me trying to rationalize my par higher

Once you correct for your older bulbs and dirty splash guard... You're getting similar par values I get for my 8-bulb setup with 4 month old bulbs and a crystal clear splash guard over a 28" deep tank. Good deductive reasoning sir.
  • Like 1

Tank looks great! And is it just me or is that fox face massive? 

He’s an average size foxface. He would definitely appreciate some more space though. I’m hanging onto him and he will feel more comfy in the 150 gallon when I set that up. He’s otherwise healthy. Has his own “cave” and eats plenty. Not any signs of stress. Doesn’t fight.

• Like 1

New bulbs came in. Love how bright and natural it looks. Like sunlight in shallow water

45d404addb39dd30bada7da4e3ef795d.jpg

Will take par readings after I replace all 8 and they’ve burned in. I only swapped two out today. Spectrum shouldn’t change much from here though. The rest are duplicates.

• Like 3

f15b933a5091dd4a5c3836c27c8f8446.jpg

Refilled the CARX media for the first time since buying it. It was about 1/4 left full and about an inch of non-dissolved powder at the bottom. Took about an hour. Was slightly less of a pain than anticipated. Up and running full of fresh media and good to go!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As suspected. Measured the entire tank at all points using the apogee qm510. I’m getting 550-600 at the surface, and 250 on the sandbed. Most points on the rocks that aren’t shaded are averaging around 300-400 par. Par is ridiculously even laterally and front to back and the only real variation I see is in vertical depth.

• Like 2