Torch Coral dying?

ClarkiiCircus

Hi there,

Looks like my 4 headed torch is headed south very quickly. Had water tested the other day at RCA, and they said nothing was out of the ordinary. Anyone have experience with brown jelly disease? Honestly not sure if that is what it truly is. 2 of the heads have dramatically receded and are becoming skeletal. If nothing works, can someone help me frag it to save the remaining 2 heads? Thanks.

In the last three years I have lost three very large, previously very healthy torch colonies to brown jelly. Here's what I have learned:

• If you have other corals of the Euphyllia family or similar corals (frogspawn, hammers) - REMOVE THE INFECTED TORCH IMMEDIATELY. Brown jelly is highly contagious and will wipe them all out.
  • When you remove the infected coral in order to either frag off the sick heads or to remove it as a whole, place a ziploc bag into the tank and cover the coral with it before trying to move it. Otherwise the jelly will drift off like mucous and land throughout your tank. You want to contain as much of it and remove it as possible.
  • Frag off any sick heads at the branch of the skeleton. Any heads that are "iffy" should go as well, it's not worth the risk. You can break the skeleton easy with a pair of wire cutters.
  • Do not put the healthy frags back into the same location in the tank. The original coral was made vulnerable either by too much or lack of flow, and the jelly is most likely still in the water column.
  • A small QT tank should be used just for the healthy heads and new salt water should be used in the tank versus using existing tank water.

I wish you the best. I have tried dipping with a variety of different projects, and the most success I had was with Lugol's solution. Ultimately I lost all of the colony each time (one was a 50+ head colony the size of a volleyball.

I have a 12g Eclipse system I use periodically for QT, it has a built in filter and light. You are welcome to borrow it to use as a QT tank.

Take a look here:

http://reefdreams.de/lang_eng/info_13_eng.html

And talk to the guy sat the Aqua-Dome or RCA and see if they can help you find the antiobiotic mentioned in the article (the antibiotic chloramphenicol). Either way, best of luck, and please let us know how it works out - especially if you're able to save the remaining heads.

Just an update: fragged off the 2 dead heads this evening. Took them out of the water to toss them to TOTAL decomposition and a horrendous smell that filled the bathroom. Planning on attempting to order the antibiotic soon. Anyone have any experience with iodine dips? Thanks!

Lugol's solution is iodine. You can't buy straight Iodine anymore but you should still be able to get Lugol's. I can tell you I tried it and it had no apparent effect on brown jelly. If you still have healthy heads on the Torch, I would not delay. Contact a vet or your doctor and get the antibiotic as soon as possible, jelly spreads incredibly quickly.

Final torch head appears to be DOA to the treatment solution bye.gif Can brown jelly also infect anemones? How do i get the protazoa out of my tank?!

No, it pretty much exclusively targets the Euphyllia family (torches, frogspawn, hammers) . Your anemones should be fine.

After my first bout with it I waited a few months and got another torch. Lost it. Several months later lost another. Now it's been over a year and I have healthy heads of hammers and torches in the tank, so it will eventually clear up.

I did notice in all my bouts with it that the initial infection seemed to come after the coral was damaged. My torch would fall off the live rock to the sand, or get bumped, or have some other trauma that weakened it.

Archived