Black egg crate?

Entropy

If I may offer a suggestion: regular egg crate (aka light diffuser) + Krylon Fusion (let dry and cure before adding to tank). I have know many reefers to use Krylon Fusion to paint PVC for overflows for years without any issue, and I, myself, have as well. Just a suggestion/tip.

(poster is not associated with Krylon® in any way. "Krylon®" and "Krylon® Fusion" are copyright Krylon Products Group :P )

I thought about the Krylon (I paint the back of the tank with it), but it tends to chip over time when subjected to movement and running water. This will be a cap to my overflow so I would rather have something solid black. Plus white is $10 a sheet anyway so I might as well get it in black.

• 4 years later...

Yeah it was Krylon Fusion. The key to Fusion (or any paint really) is the prep. The surface needs to be sanded or chemically altered to allow the paint to get a good bond. That is pretty difficult on egg crate. Where it usually chips is when you dump a bunch of live rock on it.

Now that I think about it though, since I am planning to use it under rocks in a freshwater setup it really don't matter what color it is.

Archived