Thinking about rebuilding my aquarium.

Rjohn

Hey Ric my friend!

I think you are tending towards a good set of choices. I must admit I have not be overwhelmed with my success with cheato and caulerpa but I think I just need to clean up and start over as I probably had a bunch of 'nutrients' in my sump. I'm gonna vote no on the rubble = I would still try the cheato again. If you do have any particulates the more rubble you have the more hiding places it affords it. More importantly rubble is pretty much only useful in the Nitrogen cycle and won't do anything to take up Nitrates. If you were gonna change your rock work significantly in the DT then I would say maybe put some in the first chamber coming from your DT where it would get good oxygen, otherwise no IMHO. I am betting that reducing your CC bed, cleaning it out thoroughly and cleaning underneath you rockwork will REALLY help. I sure would start a serious sock program going. If you want to order some socks with me we might be able to save some bucks on postage or somethin'. Maybe you have plenty. I do think the LM Blenny would be a good idea. I am pretty sure 1 is the max. As soon as they percieve that the other(s) threaten their food supply there could be trouble. I had a Bicolor kill my one Lawn Mower although it may have been primarily from harassment stress. Are you going to Dave's?

Bill

Bill, I will be at Dave's on Saturday. See you there! And I really want to thank everyone for your advice and suggestions. It has been very helpful. I also especially appreciate hearing that I am not the only one with algae problems. I go to meetings, see these museum-quality aquariums and then I come home and look at mine. It is not a happy feeling.

Hey Ric,

If you wanna bemoan algae with me we can talk at the meeting. Heck, I'll even bring pictures of my tank. Misery loves company! :doh:

How does one go about using a filter sock? I know, I know... but I keep hearing references made to them and as simple as it sounds I'm not sure how to implement their usage. What are they made out of? Could I make one?

Liz

How does one go about using a filter sock? I know, I know... but I keep hearing references made to them and as simple as it sounds I'm not sure how to implement their usage. What are they made out of? Could I make one?

Liz

These are very good questions perhaps we can discuss them at the meeting tomorrow.

Dave-