How long....

mooric

....should I let my tank mature before I consider adding in things more delicate than a fish? I have had the tank running since before Christmas, and tank parameters are nice and steady now. Only issue I have currently is a little GHA but the CUC is slowly working that down. So how mature does one's tank need to be?

TIA

Moo

From the reading I've done, it seems that the general recommendation is to wait until you have all of the fish you would eventually like in the tank to have been in the tank for a while before adding corals/other stuff. Just because adding a couple fish can add to the bioload of the tank so quickly that the mild changes in water parameters can have an adverse effect on invertebrates. I'm not even close to an expert though, so I'm sure someone else can answer the question a little more specifically than I can.

OOO! And if you have a skimmer, you usually want to wait a few weeks to 'break it in' and fine tune the skimming. Obviously pristine water conditions and quality are a must for anything more delicate than fish. So that could increase wait time as well.

+1--->>I think if its corals you would be ok, they dont put a bio-load on the tank. If its fish u wanna add then do it slow. As long as all parameters are ok than you shld be fine for corals, but when u do u hv 2 keep track of all the water parameters and water quality.

It really depends on what you are planning for your target organisms.

If you want a couple of clowns and an anenome right now is probably a pretty good time for the clowns. But you would want to wait for another month or so for the anenome.

If you have a refugium you may want to wait for it to mature more. 3 Months is really a minimum for a good food refugium before you start to put predatory (yes a clown fish is a predator) fish in the tank.

Eueopean reefers reccomend 1 year before putting in anything that is not a strict herbavore including most corals. Most US people are not near that patient. That being said, in my 90 that has been maturing for 5 months or so i have a crazy amount of planktonic life in the sand and in the rock.

So, what are you looking at putting in your tank?

I wouldn't be as patient as I have been without a few life events forcing me to wait so long. :)

That being said, I am super surprised at what I am seeing in my tank after leaving it alone with just the algae blenny. Copepods/shrimps 3/8" long all over the place. I'm very happy seeing it and anticipating happy mandarin's in a couple of months.