Best person to talk to a Reef Bulk Supply?

reefman

Not sure what you want to know but I'm already doing it. You can check my DIY thread to see if it is what you were thinking. Basically about 12 hours before my ATO is allowed to run, a maxijet stirs the water containing my make up water that has been spiked with Kalk. This way it all precipitates out of solution and I only draw clear Kalkwasser to my ATO. I run it through a peristaltic pump so that the solution does not eat up any pumps.

I've got a Deltec Kalk Wassar stirrer I've had for a couple of years but have never used it. I want to run Kalk Wassar in addition to my Ca reactor, for the Ca benefits plus to offset the Co2 (i.e. raise Ph) and the fact that KW helps percipitates Phosphate.

I read part of you thread before, Mike, I guess I need to go back and read it again.

On the BRS video he starts talking about using a stirrer with ATO, but it just seems like the video ends before they finish it.

Stephen

Not sure what you want to know but I'm already doing it. You can check my DIY thread to see if it is what you were thinking. Basically about 12 hours before my ATO is allowed to run, a maxijet stirs the water containing my make up water that has been spiked with Kalk. This way it all precipitates out of solution and I only draw clear Kalkwasser to my ATO. I run it through a peristaltic pump so that the solution does not eat up any pumps.

I think you are doing what I want to do Mike -only top off during the night when the pH wants to drop anyhow. And I'm thinking having my ACIII only let the top off run for 1 min increments each hour.

Mark,

Been meaning to ask (speaking of raising pH...), are you still doing the CO2 scrubber thing? Did y'all ever find a cheap source of the media?

Stephen

I dropped the CO2 scrubber b/c it was too expensive to maintain. Even thefliterguys.biz media which was supposed to be more efficient got exhausted in 10 days.

Kalk in my ATO solved my problem. Love that stuff. Cheap, easy to use, works great and my tank is going nuts in terms of coral growth.

That just confirms that reasons I want to get it going. Are you only using KW, or a Ca reactor too?

Stephen

Only Kalk right now. My reactor parts are on the way. I'll be running the Korallin C-1502 which is supposed to release minimal C02 into the tank so it will be interesting to see how it does in terms of pH drop and coral growth.

Only Kalk right now. My reactor parts are on the way. I'll be running the Korallin C-1502 which is supposed to release minimal C02 into the tank so it will be interesting to see how it does in terms of pH drop and coral growth.

You could also run your Ca Rx effluent into a second aragonite media chamber. This is probably the best way to minimize pH drop due to the Ca Rx, since as the low pH effluent goes through the extra media and begins to dissolve it, the pH will rise back up towards its pre-CO2 levels.