How toxic is your frogspawn and hammers??

Joseph9123

Okay, this happen Saturday while watching the UFC fights. I was messing with my dogs earlier and got a small scratch on my thumb from their teeth. I didn't think much about it so I washed my hands a couple of times and their the live rocks in my curing 29 gallon tank. To make a long story short, I was rearranging for the millionth time when the hammer fell on the frogspawn, I separate them , I guess the frogspawn released it's toxin as I was moving it it away from the hammer. Just a little bit got over the cut... It started burning alot so I washed my cut. and went back into the tank to move some of my new corals I got Saturday and my thumb was still burning. After I finishing rearranging everything again, I finish watching the fights and get ready to go to 6Th st. This is where the weird part comes in, my thumb was numb and I drank alot bc of a friend b-day.....6 shots, 8 beers, and couple mixed... I was only slightly buzzed. I was thinking.... dam glad I didn't buy all the drinks bc It's going to take alot for a buzz..lol. Finally today the numbness is gone and a little tingling from the cut ,still pulsing. So next time handling frog spawns and hammers, wear gloves or check for cuts.

-Joseph

The same thing happened to my girlfriend. She was rearranging the tank and got stung. I assume it was from the frogspawn I got from you. She said it felt like her finger was on fire. Maybe its all those "supplements" those corals have been getting. Ha Ha Ha At least it was not a lionfish! angryfire.gif

You have to be VERY careful putting your hand in your tank with a cut. I even worry about it sometimes with no cuts. There was a thread on RC of a guy who had a reaction on his thumb where it swelled up so much his thumb split open! It was nasty looking!

LOL, well you know I put tons of supplements to make them bloom bigger than average..lol, how are the coral looking for ya James ? I just got me some crazy bright whitish green alverpora... seems to be brighter than my krytonites..

-JOseph

You have to be VERY careful putting your hand in your tank with a cut.  I even worry about it sometimes with no cuts.  There was a thread on RC of a guy who had a reaction on his thumb where it swelled up so much his thumb split open!  It was nasty looking!

I saw that thread (w/ pics) of his thumb after he got infected with vibrio(?) Holy crap, it was not pleasant looking at all. icon_pale.gif

I try to wear gloves whenever working in the tank.

I had several frogspawn in my old tank and all were completely safe but one that use to numb my hand if I got to close. I just learned to avoid that one. The really odd thing was I had daughter colonies that didn't effect me at all.

Joseph-

I'm reading this thread and laughing.

Being new to the "reef" end of this hobby I figured it was my imagination that when I rearranged the frogspawn my hand felt "strange" when I was done. I figured it was just dry from the salt.

Guess it wasn't the salt after all.

Maybe it's those fish "CRANK" supplements you feed them.

Careful, you may wake up one day to a giant frogspawn hanging over your bed looking for his "fishCRANK" fix. blob7.gif

Again, thanks for all your help.