To Chill or not to chill

mooric

So I have been going through my first cycle on the new tank this last week and one night I decide to turn the tank lights(150watt MH closed canopy) on for a little while. I haven't been running them to cut down on excess algae. The tank has been stead at 78.9 - 79 degrees all week, but after about 3 hours with the lights on the temp was up to 81.6 degrees (ambient household temp was 74 degrees). Is there such a thing as an acceptable temperature swing or am I going to need a chiller? I was really surprised that the temp changed as much as it did, the canopy even has 4 built in cooling fans.

Thoughts?

TIA

Moo

Agreed, keep your swings as small as reasonable possible. I have a chiller on one tank and use evaporative cooling on three other tanks. Either method can work well, you will just want to dial into what works best for your tank and budget.

On my tanks running evaporative cooling I have fans come on when the lights do. Using this type of cooling I blow the fans directly across the water surface. (This is different than cooling intended to just keep a canopy cool)

Of couse it's important to consider that the cooling you need in December may be significantly different than the cooling needed in August.

Yes it's a closed canopy.

l_28_gallon_nano_cube.jpg

That's a photo from the manufacture's site.

Perhaps I will run the lights for a full 11hours tomorrow to see how big of a swing I actually get.

Edited by mooric