Dosing pumps or Calcium Reactor

mcallahan

Calcium Reactor or Dosing Pumps  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My tank goes through about 60 mL of calcium a day now that my SPS corals are taking off and I'm debating a Ca reactor or 2-part dosing pumps.

These are my thoughts right now:

1. Ca Reactor: I'm fear here is injecting excess CO2 into my tank which already has a tendency to stay on the low pH side. And I know Ca reactors really help SPS tanks thrive.

2. 2-part dosing pumps: I've got tons of Ca/Alk solution from BRS so all I'd need to buy is 2 dosing pumps and some tubing and I'm ready to go. I've got room on my AC III to control them already.

Can people chime in with their experience with either?

I used to dose 2 part. My problem was remembering when to dose what. I went to calc reactor and will never go back. all params are dead on. Growth is phenomenal. But with automation on the dosing both are feasible. Usually it boils down to your choice.

Dave-

I think his question was to dose via dosing pump or run a reactor. I've used both and would go with a dosing unit. It's much easier to dial in and all you do is refill your jugs ever so often. And without the addition of C02 you'll be able to maintain a higher P.H. without a P.H. scrubber. The only down side is the balling salts I use from Fauna Marin get a little pricey. But overall I'm very pleased and my sps love it too.

I think his question was to dose via dosing pump or run a reactor. I've used both and would go with a dosing unit. It's much easier to dial in and all you do is refill your jugs ever so often. And without the addition of C02 you'll be able to maintain a higher P.H. without a P.H. scrubber. The only down side is the balling salts I use from Fauna Marin get a little pricey. But overall I'm very pleased and my sps love it too.

Hmmm...the injection of CO2 is my main concern. I already battle low pH and the CO2 scrubber helped, but I still can't maintain the tank above 8.0 while the windows are all shut.

Clint, does your setup dose Ca/Alk/Mg? I only use about 15mL of Mg a day so I"m thinking about just dosing Ca/Alk.

First hand experience, I really like the way I set my dosing pumps up. My reef has been trouble free ever since.

I left for 3 weeks to LA and had nothing done to my tank at all while I was gone. Nobody had to do top-offs, no feeding at all, all levels were good when I got back.

I say go with the 2-part if you don't want the hassle of a CA reactor. I have a giant MRC unit I plan on using with the 400g tank but for the 75g I'm pleased as punch with the dosing method. Several weeks later and my 1g jugs are only half empty. I based my math upon giving me 6 weeks per gallon of mix.

One note: If I was to do it again, I feel I would have bought the Aquamedic 4 head peristaltic pump with digital programmer instead. Basically yeah it's $400 on Ebay, but keep in mind that 4 pumps from BRS will run you the same amount but not be programmable and a tiny little compact unit. I have been pleased with the BRS pumps and if you only plan on dosing 2-part they are fine for that. I just happened to add a pump for ATO and had I had the foresight to buy a fourth pump, or the Aquamedic unit, I could be dosing MG as well.

I've dosed and done a Ca reactor. I'll keep my reactor. I also have concerns about co2, and as the scrubber turned out to be somewhat more expensive than we'd originally thought I've decided to run an airline to bring outside outside air to the skimmer. I'm working on a box to mount under my eave on the back of my house to mount the airline into.