Looking for English Mastiff puppy

triggerdiver

Does anyone know of anyone that breeds and sells English Mastiff puppies? I am really looking for a fawn male puppy, but can't find anyone around that has them. I'm willing to trade or buy. I have an AKC English Bulldog puppy that I am willing to trade or anything saltwater such as lighting or whatever. Thanks!

Best source is to go to the AKC website (www.akc.org) and find local breeders on their list. You may have to get on a waiting list, but you DON'T want to buy from Newspaper breeders. Folks who truly know the breeds are very selective in breeding and will do tests (depending on the typical maladies a breed tends to suffer from). Yes, you may pay a little more, but a great example is a lady in our church wanted a couple of labs and I recommended the same to her. Instead, she bought two from a newspaper add for $400 total. Now, for $600 or $800 she could have bought from an AKC breeder that gets inspected and does tests. Both dogs ended up with a breed ailment. After $2,000 on vet bills one died and the other is sickly. For that much, she could have bought two from a selective breeder!!

Happens time and time again. Be very careful, particulary with large breeds as they tend to have a shorter lifespan and serious hip and knee issues. My grandfather raised English Bulldogs for 30 years and showed around the country. I grew up in that environment and have heard many sad stories from folks who bought their "dream dog" only to find out something horrible later.

The breed you are looking at is a GOB of fun if you love big dogs. I am trying to talk the wife into a Neaopolitan Mastiff someday (she has to get over the drooling issues).

Later,

Lee

We recently lost our female saint bernard and just one drooly dog in the house just doesn't seem right. We are looking at different breeds but the mastiffs are on our list. They do not have a double coat so less hair!! but their personalities are very different and not exactly a great family dog especially to have around children. Unfortunatly there are alot of backyard breeders who are out there just to make a buck and do not care if what they are breeding is a good representative of the breed. Alot of the mastiffs out there do not look anything like the mastiffs you see at the show.

A great place to start http://mastiff.org/faq/breedref.mv

If you like big thick gooey slobber shoe strings on the couch, wall, blankets, and clothing, they for you. I love a good shoe string slung on the ceiling blob7.gif

Thanks for the replies! I'm still looking for the right English Mastiff and I've come close to trading my Bulldog for one, but it didn't work out. I'm still doing my research on them, even went to our local AKC dog show last weekend and got to see MANY Mastiffs and got to talk to the owners. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from both people that own them and people that don't. They say they are very gentle, GENTLE GIANTS!!!!, and they are very guarding towards it's family and how they love little children, which is a HUGE plus in my opinion. I hope I find one soon!!!!

Keep the help coming!

Jeff

I love puppyfind.com. I got about 3 of my dogs from that site. I don't have but the bulldog left, but I got my 2 Great Danes from there. Very pleased with that site. I hope you enjoy your Sheltie!!!! We have a Collie and he is the smartest dog I've ever owned. Sheltie's are very good dogs. My in laws had them on there farm and they are great! But going back to Mastiffs, I guess one down fall is the mess they'll leave in the yard. One would have thought I had cows in my backyard if they saw those patties my Danes left!!!! Sorry for being disgusting, but it's the truth. I don't know, we're still really trying to decide on what breed is right for us. We just want a dog that can keep up with our children and a bit bigger dog than our Bullie. We love Goldens and Labs so we're still not set on a Mastiff, but if one comes around I'll let yall know. Again, thank you all for yall's valuable input. If you have more, please keep em coming!

Jeff

I always thought Mastiffs were on the sedentary side. Could be wrong. We have a Giant Schnauzer. Kinda hard to find, but a VERY ACTIVE dog. The kids would have to keep up with him. About 100lbs, so not crazy big, and he doesnt shed much, or drool :D. Would get another in a hart beat. But 1 is not enough, next time I will get two, they can beat some of the energy out on each other.

Best of Luck.

• 3 months later...