Adding Clownfishs

TheKipf

Hey guys and gals,

My name is Greg, and I'm pretty new to the salt water aquarium scene. I've been trolling the forums for a long while (most the trade / sell forums to get this tank going!) but haven't really done a whole lot of posting. However, I have to say I really enjoy the community here at ARC!

I have a 75g tank, with about 100lbs (or 115ish) of LR, with about a 2 - 2 1/2 inch sugar sand bed. I have one huge specimen of frogspawn coral (about 11 heads of it!) -- and a big ol' coral, which was sold to me as hammer coral (about 8 heads) but I have my doubts if it really is a hammer coral or some kind of torch coral. I also have a good colony of GSP, and some other little button polyps. 2 Green Chromis (sorry 'lefty' - who was my 3rd Chromis - that you had to be the way I found out my huge Green Emerald Crab had a huge Green Emerald Appetite), and 1 very small yellow tang.

But to the question!

I really want to add 2 clownfish to my set up but I don't think this will come any time soon, as I'm letting my tank catch up to the recent bio-load additions. However, I would really like to add 1 Black & White Ocellaris Clown, and then one standard False Perc Ocellaris Clown. In some reading, I found that the black & white ocellaris can coexhist with other clowns, but I wanted to see if anyone had any luck doing my above scenerio? Additionally, should I make sure to get two females? Or a Male / Female combination? Is there any precautions or special acclimation steps that I should in order to make sure I don't have Fish Fight Club when I introduce them to my tank?

Just looking for some expert input!

Thanks,

Greg

I have a pair of False Perc Ocellaris clowns and a pair of Black & White Ocellaris Clown in the same tank peacefully co-existing. I would purchase on large (will become the female) and one small fish (will become the male), then let nature take its course.

If you get two of the same size you will have Fish Fight Club (found out the hard way). Introduce them into the tank at the same time. Acclimate like any other fish.

Dave-

No joke? -- Clowns can change sexes? Thats actually kind of cool - I never knew that!

So, I should get one big ole clown, and a smaller one then huh? -- Good to know, I was thinking I'd have to both get them small and let them grow together.

Thanks guys,

If you get two small ones, eventually one will become the female, but they will duke it out until they determine which one will be the girl (what I did)! Still, better two little babies than two adults, if you have to get two of the same size. I've heard of black and whites pairing with normals, so I doubt there's a problem there. Good luck!