Nano Skimmers

barderer

Hey guys/gals ok who am I kidding, hey guys,

Was just wondering if any nano tank guys have had experience using one of these inexpensive nano skimmers like this one

http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotune...products_id=150

or this one

http://www.sapphireaquatics.com/store/inde...1&products_id=4

the first one being very cheap and it would be great if it worked and fit inside a BioCube 29. The second being hand crafted for a BioCube 29 but is also much more expensive. Any thoughts? Also what are your opinions on filling water space where the carbon filter intake is with live rock? Or even the pump area with live rock? I am thinking the space before the carbon filter is ideal since it is under water and you can leave a dead carbon filter in there to prevent sediment from getting to the skimmer(bio ball area)/ return pump area and messing the pumps up. Also it seems like one is loosing a TON of bio-filtering surface area by removing the bio-balls and replacing with a skimmer, is it worth it?

Thanks,

Nick

The Fission is complete garbage. I bought one. I tried setting it up. I was very let down at the hundreds of tiny pieces that don't actually lock together. Upon installation it would fall apart and into the sand bed. When you did get it to stay together you realized that the collection cup is about the size of a sewing needle. What I found happened is it would quickly fill with water and then you'd almost destroy the thing trying to get it apart to clean it. It comes with a tiny airline sized take off for a remote cup but why? The internal tower is about 1/4". You can't let that get dirty. So it's either add a cup and run it dirty or break it every time you clean it. To adjust the water level you adjust how high you stick the skimmer to the back wall. Well if you have any water evap everything changes.

I have a Tunze 9002 in my BC29. I had to mod the hood slightly in order to get it to fit. Purigen in a nutshell is "super carbon". I prefer using Chemi-pure. I use a phosban reactor with Chemi-pure and a skimmer. My water is crystal clear.

I personally do not think you need a skimmer in a nano tank. Most of the stuff a skimmer would be removing can be exported through large water changes and you don't run the risk of stripping the water of valuable nutrients. It is the same reason you don't have to dose chemicals because they are added back during the water changes. IMO

I personally do not think you need a skimmer in a nano tank. Most of the stuff a skimmer would be removing can be exported through large water changes and you don't run the risk of stripping the water of valuable nutrients. It is the same reason you don't have to dose chemicals because they are added back during the water changes. IMO

I definitely agree with this statement. To be honest I almost ditched the entire setup before I moved. I haven't been as successful as I used to be and I mainly contribute it to a lack of attention. I thought by adding this new aspect to the tank it might get me more interested in it. I'm also adding it in the hopes that I can spread out the time frame in between water changes.

The skimmer shipped today and I'll post a review when possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to second that the fission is a POS. i got one on a trade and cant stand the darn thing. i used it for three weeks the "skimmate" if that is what you want to call it was so wet that you couldn't tell it was anything but water with some bubbles. It fits in the back of the jbj in the center section ut just barely and you cant have anything in there with it. Personally save you money, but if anyone would like to try one out ill trade for it need some zoo's