Should have gone ATO/2 part long ago.

caferacermike

It has been just under a week since I began using my new ATO set up and auto dosing 2-part solution. I can tell you I should have done this years ago.

Things I've already noted.

1: By far the most important change I've noticed is my skimmer output. Years ago I traded out my trusty Euro Reef RS80 for an RS130 to help a friend out and to get a larger skimmer for myself. I never really liked the RS130 as it seemed way to fickle. The RS80 would just work no matter what. Well now with my elevated and constant sump level, it has drastically changed its output. Within 2 days the very large cup was full of dirt brown gunk. This used to take about a week and half with varying performance as the sump level got lower and lower. Then I'd add some make up water and the thing would spew up and over, rinsing all that skimmate right back into the sump. Very frustrating. The problem has resolved itself and I can definitely see a difference.

2: I can honestly say that a lot of my SPS frags now show daily growth. One coral in particular that was about the size of a pinto bean has doubled in size in about 5 days. Others have gotten thicker and a few single fingers have suddenly begun to grow buds in different directions. I'm excited about these buds as that is where you can really see the difference in growth.

3: No more lugging 5g buckets from the garage to the tank at 2:00am. I am surprised at how quickly my 55g barrel is actually draining. I am ecstatic that I will only need to fill it about once a month and that will only take about 3 minutes.

I would definitely recommend running ATO to anyone that has not yet set one up. I used to have a nice Tunze ATO when I first got in the hobby but never really appreciated it. With my current set up I couldn't be happier. The peristaltic pumps are performing flawlessly with their digital timers. My Kalk set up is perfectly separating and mixing just as it should with excess powder falling out of suspension to the bottom of the barrel, I get that "skin" at the top of the barrel and I'm pulling the good limewater from the middle of the barrel. No need for a fancy Kalk reactor.

I'm willing to show the system to anyone that has any questions about the set up. I'm also willing to help you set yours up should you decide to.

Mike,

I might take you up on that offer. Once I get my stuff moved out to my garage, I might want to put in something like that. In the meantime, do you have a schematic or pics you could post? So as I understand it, you are using peristalic pumps with two part solution, and a kalk wasser mixer? I've had a Deltec kalk reactor for almost two years I never have used, but have always wanted to.

Stephen

I've been running ATO from day 1...but it's a 5 gallon jug that I fill via hose about every 4-5 days. At some point I'll probably want to automate that further. Your build was inspiring for that.

My 2-part setup arrives soon, but I will be dosing by hand to start. At some point I am convinced that I'll automate that as well.