DIY Lighting Tutorial Needed

capty99

I've googled and just not found anything a) seemingly new or b) well made (haha) so I'm just seeing if you guys have one in your bookmarks that might help me out.

So far I've DIY'ed my entire tank so why not go ahead and do the lighting / canopy as well. I have my MH already set up in a pendant that I can easily move to the hood I believe, but as far as T5's go I have never worked with them so need help there.

Your help is appreciated.

I looked as well and just didn't see much. I assume you're using a T5 retro kit versus a pre-built fixture.

Having just finished my canopy (2 48" T5 54w, 2 250w Single End MH), I can tell you that it was fairly easy. The most difficult part was having the bulbs in the endcaps so that I could space them properly.

Take a look here and you can see the canopy on top:

My tank blog

I can take more detailed pics later.

yeah, lemme know when you take more pics, maybe i should be the one to make a tutorial of what to do and what not to do.... and then get millions of reefer's hits and make billions of dollars off advertising.

your canopy seems tall - is that normal? what distance are you aiming for off the water?

thanks those do help - and yes i'm gonna retro.

My canopy is 16". Yes, it's tall, but I was worried about heat being a problem. With that height and the 250MH the halides are about 12" over the top of the tank. The T5s are about 4" closer, around the 8" mark. Will take more pics tonight.

gonna sound dumb but for my tank, which is 48 " long I do want 48" bulbs right? should i build that extra length into the canopy? it looks like the ones posted the lights and their fittings fit without any extra space?

question about my lighting :

i picked up a t5 set yesterday from the selling section but I have no experience wiring these together or playing with them and am having some trouble with just one of the bulbs. I'm assuming its dead but there maybe something with t5's I don't know. Just for testing purposes I just set up one connection instead of putting them in parallel, one bulb works and lights up from the start, the other one, in the exact same setup doesn't turn on. Does this mean its dead - or s there anything I can do for it?

My guess is dead as well, different bulbs in same fixture. Guess you could always take it up to aquatek and see if they'll try it for you there. I had to get bulbs a few weeks ago and they had the best prices in town and had stuff in stock.

• 1 month later...

My current tank I DIY - just about everything including the skimmer and Calcium Reactor. I wanted something different than the std hood and went with a pendant, it houses 2x DIY Lumenarcs w/250w HQI's Oshio 20k's, 2x sctinic VHO's and 2x super actinic's VHO and 2x PC fans

tank-1.jpg

No heat issues and it's adjustable and comes off eaisly