Anyone doing auto-auto-topoff?

AlexKilpatrick

I have the JBJ auto-top off system and it works great. I set up a 25 gallon rubbermaid container as a reservoir for RO.

Yesterday, I set up a mechanical float switch for the reservoir. The main reason I did this was to handle the situation where I forget to turn off the RO water. It seems to work fine. However, the obvious thought is that I could just leave the RO on all the time, controlled by the float switch. Then, the system is completely automated (auto-auto-top off).

Of course, the problem is that I am plumbed to an infinite source of water. If the reservoir float switch fails, then I can pump a ton of water. However, this is essentially the same thing we all have in our toilet tank, and no one worries about those failing. If they failed, it would have the same problem.

Anyone here running auto-auto-topoff? Any predictions of doom?

Of course, the problem is that I am plumbed to an infinite source of water. If the reservoir float switch fails, then I can pump a ton of water. However, this is essentially the same thing we all have in our toilet tank, and no one worries about those failing. If they failed, it would have the same problem.

but the main time that fails is <5 minutes after you mess with it. if i had left the house after using the toilet it would be a huge problem .... with your setup the water change happens whenever so you won't have incentive to watch it. (i think)

i would double up on protection for that .

However, this is essentially the same thing we all have in our toilet tank, and no one worries about those failing. If they failed, it would have the same problem.

Actually, toilet tank float switches fail all the time. Ever heard a running toilet that wouldn't quit?

The thing with a toilet is that there's an overflow drain...which you'd be explicitly missing in your setup.

Chris -- in that case isn't it the flapper seal at the bottom of the tank that is failing? It keeps pumping in water because the seal is not 100% allowing a small amount of water to drain, in effect preventing it from ever finishing the fill-up.

In other words, if you push the toilet float switch down and hold it down, I think it will overflow the tank (assuming the flapper seal is good)

Chris -- in that case isn't it the flapper seal at the bottom of the tank that is failing? It keeps pumping in water because the seal is not 100% allowing a small amount of water to drain, in effect preventing it from ever finishing the fill-up.

In other words, if you push the toilet float switch down and hold it down, I think it will overflow the tank (assuming the flapper seal is good)

Most toilets I've seen have an anti-overflow tube so that the water just drains back to bowl...down the drain..etc

Nope. Usually it's the float that isn't turning off the water completely (exactly the scenario with a failed float switch in an RO container)

There is a tube that is usually in the middle of the tank that is open on top that the water will run out of if it gets too high. Same concept as the overflow hole in a bathroom sink.

Not sure if this helps, but....

I have mine set up on a 2 barrel system. The auto shut-off only works on the "good water side". I purchased these items (thanks to caferacermike) to turn the water flow from the main water source when the "bad water barrel" is full. I have too may flood in my garage!

All it would take is this, http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com/product/solenoid , solenoid_ac_1.jpg ,

spliced with one of these $10 tricks, http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com/product/floatSwitch ,

FAS_float01.jpg

Dave-

I got the RO water float switch kit from Bulk Reef Supply and I'm very happy with it overall. Hasn't failed on me since I installed it after I left the water on and partially flooded my garage. Tho, I use it as a backup. I try to remember to turn off the RO water when the tub gets full. But it adds some piece of mind.

I was going to mention you double failsafe with the same set up Dapetit showed you. That's one of the many ways I'm setting my ATO up for my tank. My ATO is plugged into a digital timer so it can only come on during a preset time period and only "X" amount of water can be pumped by my pump in that time period. I could still even put a float switch on the end of that so that if the float is up, the pump can't pump if for some reason the electric float said to pump. I would use that solenoid inline on a timer so that your RO can only work during preset intervals and then only if the float is down. That would make about a triple redundancy set up. Plus you can just as easily add another float so that if the water gets to high, then the solenoid will close due to that switch and voila, much protection.

That is a nice solenoid. I would use that in conjunction with a off the shelf $20 micro controller dev board and a couple a DC gate /120 VAC relays. Then you could program the micro controller to know last time the tank was dosed and for how long. Because you know the flow rate your could then determine the amount of water dosed per cycle and maintain a rolling average of the amount of water dosed. You would then have a nice statistic on the evaporation rate of your tank over time. Your switch algorithm could then detect abnormal dose times and override the float switch etc. Don't buy the aquarium specific micro controllers. the are limited, 3x in cost, and not nearly as fun as the generic ones! :) Might be a over kill but working with micro controllers is so much fun!

Microcontrollers are a blast. A few years ago when I had an overflow box, I built a microcontroller (Basic Stamp) based monitor. It would check the water level in the tank. If it got too high because the overflow box lost siphon, then it would shut off the return pump, and send me a page and email. It saved me from a flood a couple of times.