WTB Live Rock (very porous for natural filtration)

doktorstick

Howdy.

I'm looking to buy live rock, about 40-45 lbs of it.  It's the basis of my filtration so I need it to be really porous, not just externally but internally as well (e.g., mainly Pacific).  I have a Solana 34g which is about 20"x16"x18" (LxWxD) so I'll need smaller pieces to aquascape with.  (Yup, this is new tank and I'm ready to add the rock.)

Thanks for your consideration.

Cheers!

+1 for getting dry rock and seeding.

I have a 90G with 90# of dead rock and about 30# of live rock from a bunch of different sources. If you cure the live rock in your tank with the dead rock you will have corraline growing on the dead rock by the end of your cycle (about a month - 1.5 months.) After about 3 months I have some pieces of the dead rock that you just cannot distinguish from the live rock I put in there. I really reccomend very high flow for this BTW. My dead rock that is in heavy flow is looking much better than the dead rock in a lower flow.

One of the other nice tricks I found is to take some of the gunk out of the bottom of a live rock tank (RCA was nice enough to let me get thiers) and pour it into your tank in front of a power head so it gets spread far and wide. Takes a day or 2 for the silt to settle out but I think it added a lot of great bacteria and biodiversity to my tank.

And, while the prices do not even get close to matching prof's premium live rock, vivid does have some very very nice rock that I just picked up some for some extra seeding in my tank to get another source of critters.