CO2 scrubber - raise (and maintain) your ph for less than $50

mcallahan

ok Mark, i took some of the advice here. I have had an hard time keeping my PH above or at 8 . When you 1st started this thread i saw the part about putting the vent tube for the protein skimmer out the window, My results are as follows. B4 my PH would swing from 8.0 during the day to like 7.89 at night. Now with it outside it stays at 8.05-8.11...all the time, day or night. The accuracy of my PH probe is +/- .03. I will defntly be leaving it like this. The KH seems to not swing so much also for the whole week. Everything seems to be more stable. Thanks alot for the advice.

Awesome! Glad it worked. I'm going to put the tube outside next week and see what I get.

I've noticed that my tank drops to 8.02 when the window is closed even with the scrubber. Needless to say, our house is pretty tight!

I'll be interested to see what happens when I go tube out the window, then tube out the window + scrubber.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that even by putting the tube out the window, we're still having the tank sit in a CO2 bath (the inside air), so the pH rise won't be as much as if we had fresh air moving in all the time. I'll do some experiments and report back.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya true, i have an exhaust fan in the closet next to the tank that pull the air in room out to the attic. It also pulls fresh air in from window. AHHHHHHHH.......no that you know this it will help. EZR to explain in person but with the canopy vented to the room and the chiller in closet it got pretty HOT int the room, so my cure for this was to install a bathroom "fart" fan in the roof of the closet to vent all the hot air outta the room. It works very well.

I thought I had heard or read somewhere that you could run AquaNotes on any computer without having to have one of their controllers. Do you know anything about that? I have a Profilux, but would like something more like you have to start graphing the parameters. I think the real value is being able to chart and review the graphs after a period of time has elapsed.

Stephen

I know you can install Aquanotes on any computer without a Neptune controller but as far as I can tell you would have to input data manually if the controller wasn't supported. I had even heard the current version of Aquanotes doesn't support Neptune's new Apex controller so I don't think it has support for other controllers.

If you can extract the data from your Profilux in columns you can just graph it with Excel.

It will turn purple. Here is a pic of the cartridge once my pH started dropping. Not the best, but you get the idea.

Something to note, don't wait for the whole thing to turn purple, the media on the bottom will become exhausted and your pH will drop before the whole cartridge is dead.

partially_exhausted_cartridge.jpg

Thanks, sure enough when I got up this morning the media had turned violet and the pH had dropped. Looks like I only get ~1 week out of a load of media. Earlier NonSequitur had mentioned finding 5 gallon pails of soda lime for $50+shipping. NonSequitur could you provide details on where that was from?

post-1228-1260542100319_thumb.jpg

i went ahead and changed out my media for the first time and noticed that at least 1/3rd of the media looked the "starting color", so I'm wondering if its worth it to "mix" the media in the cartridge so that alll of it is exposed before changing it out?

i went ahead and changed out my media for the first time and noticed that at least 1/3rd of the media looked the "starting color", so I'm wondering if its worth it to "mix" the media in the cartridge so that alll of it is exposed before changing it out?

I tried that with my last media changed and when I changed out the media that was 1/2 old, 1/2 new, nearly all of the cartridge had turned purple. It also only lasted 9 days. angry.gif

I forgot to transfer my bookmarks when I reformatted my computer, so I'm having to look for it again... I'll keep looking, but so far the best price I'm seeing is $77 plus shipping here: Sodasorb HP,5 Gal. Pail, 37#,Indicating,4/8,CO2

No problem, even with shipping this pail of Sodasorb HP only $100 ($2.71 per pound) which is still 20 bucks cheaper then I paid.

Took the plunge today and drilled a hole in the wall and routed the tube to the skimmer outside. The result: a .3 increase in pH in 12 hrs! Now i'll be interested to see how it holds up over night.

Are you still running soda lime and/or activated carbon or just a straight connect outside?

Are you still running soda lime and/or activated carbon or just a straight connect outside?

I'm still running the scrubber for now as I just replaced the media.

Here is a nice graph of the stability of my pH over night. It dropped from 8.15 to 8.05 and held it for the past couple of hours.

night_stability.jpg