Water Temp

KTLW

Welcome to the Hobby and to Austin Reef Club!

You'll get a lot of different opinions, but I run my tank @ 77-78 degrees. Keeping your temp stable (as with pretty much anything in a reef tank) is a great idea so if you run your tank @ 76, then try to not let it go above 78, If you run it @ 79, keep it in the 79 range.

Your temp swing with depend a lot on your lighting. What kind of lights are you running?

Hi Keith! Good to see you posting here.

+1 to above comments. I like mine to be 78-79F but lately since I added the Metal Halide's it's creeped up to 82 on occasion. I added a fan to blow across the sump whenever the MH's are on and it's kept it between 78-80. My plan is to have fans on the canopy to run with the MH's and hopefully that will keep it more stable. I don't like it to vary more than 2 degrees.

I was just looking at the ap store for tank maintenance aps and came across (I guess) the one you have, Mark. Is it called iReef or something like that? Works only with the Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite (RKE) controller, right?

I had Aquaria, but it doesn't have a place to list tank inhabitants or even notes. Just water tests and a fish compatibility database. There's a new one called Aquarium Buddy that I just got. I wanted to be able to record the date when I get new fish and corals and this one does that as well as water tests and other notes where you can list events like getting a new piece of equipment or moving the tank or just water changes and supplement additions. I'm surprised there aren't more reef tank maintenance aps for the iPhone. I mean with 85,000+ aps, you'd think there'd be lots.