Mh lighting

mhart032

Does anyone know how long the leads on a 250watt icecap ballast can be? i want to mount the ballast in the bottom on the stand vs in the canopy im just worried about loosing wattage with longer leads. i have 6 foot leads on it now.

+1, i have a realy old 400w ballast. The kind that you can see the copper windings. It is on the floor under tank and the wire goes up to ceiling then down about 2 feet to the mogul base. Its wired with 10/2 wire. So 10' of wire and no problems here. Fires everytime an makes a realy pretty color.

As long as you stay with the correct type of lamp for the ballast you shouldn't have a problem.. trying to run some DE lamps on ballasts designed for SE operation can depend on shortening the leads because SE lamps usually start at a lower voltage than DE lamps of the same wattage, so long leads can cause starting problems. In your case, though, leaving everything stock shouldn't hurt you a bit (icecap knows what they're doing).